Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Ultimate single ended Triode amp
Ultimate single ended Triode amp [message #10558] Fri, 05 March 2004 08:01 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Everyone,
OK. I have a zen amp and am really happy with it. The zen se84C uses sv83 pentodes run in triode mode. Apparently these are faster than the standard single plate triodes.
I would like, at some point to build an "ultimate" SET. Some questions arise, that we can discuss:
1. What tube is best? I believe the 300B is best, thought the 2a# is supposed to be more mellow in the treble? My personal tastes run to more analytical...meaning I don;t really go for TOO much tube in the sound.
2. Is it actually worth the money to build something like this, given I already have a zen and this has mor then enough power for all my speakers? I mean, given my efficient speakers, would a 300B with good OPTs actually add anything to the sound over the se-84Cs?

any thoughts are welcome.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Ultimate single ended Triode amp [message #10560 is a reply to message #10558] Fri, 05 March 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil Wilson is currently offline  Phil Wilson
Chancellor
I am interested in people's thoughts on this as well. I also have a Zen (the Select version, which is the same circuit and tubes as Akhilesh's). I also love my amp but I have noticed in my limited listening experience that the higher-powered tube amps (like Akhilesh's kit from S-5 Electonics and Mark Margiotta's Music Reference - both push-pulls - and even the Paramour's) seem to have more authority in the lower frequencies, even on the single driver speakers Akhilesh and I own. I haven't had enough A/B listening to identify what you lose with this (if anything) but it is something I've noticed. Since I want to build an amp sometime, I will probably do a higher-powered version when I do it (probably a kit, but someday I'd like to do one from scratch).

Also, from what I read, it sounds like other than the tube you choose that the power transformers are the key upgrades to make the "ultimate" amp. What transformers do people think are the best?

Re: Ultimate single ended Triode amp [message #10561 is a reply to message #10558] Fri, 05 March 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrewbee is currently offline  Andrewbee
Esquire
Firstly, there is no ultimate anything.
With s.e.t.s the imo most important parts are the p/s and opt.
If you don't need more power than the zens then may I suggest you take a look here.

AB

Re: Ultimate single ended Triode amp [message #10563 is a reply to message #10558] Fri, 05 March 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Hey Akhilesh, except for Welborne Labs 300B amps, all the ones I've heard have that euphonic tube sound that you mentioned you don't care for. If I wanted to make a change just to make a change, I would get a pair of Ron's newer DRD 300B amps without the rectifier tube.

Personally, I prefer the 2A3 tube.

What speakers are you using?

Re: Ultimate single ended Triode amp [message #10565 is a reply to message #10563] Sat, 06 March 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Seeker,
Klipschorns (104 db) & a pair of home built vintage driver full ranges (eff around 94 db)
Thanx for the pointer will focus more on the wellbornes.
-akhilesh

Re: Ultimate single ended Triode amp [message #10566 is a reply to message #10561] Sat, 06 March 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Andrew,
You are right. It;s always a journey. I heard the OTLs were unstable...is that true? plus they are humongously complex & expensive.
-akhilesh

Re: Ultimate single ended Triode amp [message #10657 is a reply to message #10566] Wed, 04 August 2004 14:04 Go to previous message
Steve is currently offline  Steve
Viscount
Hi Guys,
Jack G. has some comments from years of working with 300b SET amps. For whatever it is worth.

http://www.audioannex.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=tube&Number=10691&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0

Take care.
Steve

Previous Topic: ASL Si15-DT
Next Topic: Single-Ended Bits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 08:15:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers