Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Moondog's need new tubes
Moondog's need new tubes [message #10526] Wed, 11 February 2004 13:15 Go to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
I asked about the Electro-Harmonix 2A3 tubes at the 'other place' and heard all about Sovteks, Valve Art, TJ mesh plates......

My amps have really old Sovteks in them and it's time to re-tube. Does anyone have experience with the new Electro-Harmonix 2A3's & 6SN7's? How do they sound compared to the Sovteks?

Re: Moondog's need new tubes [message #10527 is a reply to message #10526] Wed, 11 February 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What's the price tag on those, if you don't mind my asking? I could use a new pair of 2A3's too. To tell the truth, I don't know the price breakdowns on any of the brands. Just haven't shopped them.

Re: Moondog's need new tubes [message #10528 is a reply to message #10527] Thu, 12 February 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne, a matched pair of EH 2A3 tubes is $89.95. I received them yesterday and they sound very articulate in my Moondog amps. They don't sound bass heavy as the Sovteks can, but they have plenty of bass and sound good through out the frequencies, a very even and smooth sound. They just sound like real music according to my friend who plays in the Austin Symphony - he thinks they are way better than the Sovteks. The EH 6SN7's, are 11.95 each, $5.00 each for tube matcing, and may have something to do with the the bass - not sure.

These are new tubes for EH and I'm quite pleased. I do intend to get a new pair of the Sovteks and see how they compare....old tubes vs. new tubes isn't a good comparison. Comparing tubes is a bit easier with mono amps.

I did listen to the Valve Art tubes and just didn't like them. I'm still amazed at the articulation of the EH tubes. Hopefully they will sound even better after they get about 500 hours on them.

If you get the EH 2A3's, let me know how they sound in your system.

Re: Moondog's need new tubes [message #10529 is a reply to message #10528] Thu, 12 February 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks for the tip. I'll order a pair of Electro-Harmonix 2A3's and give 'em a listen.

I have a brand-new pair of Valve Art tubes, and they sound OK but have a very peculiar symptom. One sounds fine but the other makes intermittent pops, like a Geiger counter sound. If you rotate the tube 90o so that it lays horizontally, it becomes quiet. But stand it up and it starts popping again.

This is a consistent symptom, and is perfectly repeatable. Give it some signal and run it about a half hour and the popping goes away. Not fully, but the popping is reduced a great deal. You won't notice it when there is something playing, but in between passages, it's there again.

So I need to do something else. I probably should have sent this one defective tube back, but I didn't. It has maybe a couple hundred hours on it now, so I wouldn't feel right sending it back. I had hoped it would go away, but it hasn't. So I'll make it "go away" by buying new tubes.

I have a question. Do all 2A3's have a gas that glows blue inside? Or is it just Valve Art tubes? That's probably a very naive question, but I never noticed it on other 2A3 tubes and so I was wondering if maybe I just didn't pay attention.

Re: Moondog's need new tubes [message #10530 is a reply to message #10529] Thu, 12 February 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne, I got a very technical answer to your question about the 'blue gas' from Audio Electronics (Cary), but I really didn't understand what he was talking about. I've had Sovteks do this, but not all tubes do. The Electro-Harmonix I just received do not do this. It isn't anything to be concerned with, just an oddity relative to the materials used.

Re: Moondog's need new tubes [message #10531 is a reply to message #10529] Thu, 12 February 2004 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kyle is currently offline  kyle
Chancellor
Wayne, I have eight valve art 2A3's and five of them make that popping or ticking to one degree or another. I also have a pair of golden dragons and two pairs of sovteks which don't. So just based on this experience I don't buy the Valve Arts now. One thing which I have noticed from reading other peoples posts and from talking to other 2A3 users is that the tonal character is very system and operating point dependent. As an example, if I use the sovteks in one amp I made, they are much brighter and more extended on the bass than the valve arts, but on another amp the top seems slightly rolled off on the sovteks. The sovteks can be run at higher operating points than most 2A3's and if you're making your own amps that does make them attractive for experimenting.
One thing I'm sure of is that there are no absolutes (except that the popping noise is really annoying).

Re: Moondog's need new tubes [message #10532 is a reply to message #10530] Fri, 13 February 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I kinda thought the blue glow was cool. Too bad the tubes make that clicking noise.

Re: Moondog's need new tubes [message #10533 is a reply to message #10531] Fri, 13 February 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Wow, I can't believe Valve Art has such a high failure rate on their 2A3 tubes. I'd consider this noise to be a failure mode. I suppose it might be related to method of use, operating point or circuit configuration, but both you and I are getting the same symptoms.

What amp(s) and circuit configuration(s) are you running them in? I've got 'em in stock Paramours, and the symptom follows the tube. What I mean is that I can swap the tubes between amps and the symptom follows the tube, not the amp.

Re: Moondog's need new tubes [message #10534 is a reply to message #10533] Fri, 13 February 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kyle is currently offline  kyle
Chancellor
Hi Wayne, I'm using them in home brew amps - two SE's and one PP. One thing I find to be strange is how some of the tubes have a very rapid popping and some of them just click every second or so. Like yours these effects move with the tubes.

Re: Moondog's need new tubes [message #10535 is a reply to message #10534] Fri, 13 February 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Valve Art is a Chinese company, isn't it? Do you know who we could talk to about this? It would be nice to hear what the manufacturer has to say about it.

P.S. Seeker - Sorry to go on and on about Valve Art's 2A3. That's just exactly what you said happened at the other place. But the problem with the Valve Art 2A3 is exactly why I'm interested in the Electro-Harmonix 2A3 tube you mentioned when kicking off this thread.

Previous Topic: This may be interesting to some
Next Topic: ZEN Se-84C...anyone compared it to other SETs?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 10:27:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio