Home » Audio » General » "Are Audiophiles Wasting Their Money?"
"Are Audiophiles Wasting Their Money?" [message #77138] Fri, 05 July 2013 09:37 Go to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I just read an article titled, "Are Audiophiles Wasting Their Money on Expensive Gear?" Considering it is posted in a section titled "The Audiophiliac", I was not surprised to see that he claimed they do not. He states that high end audio simply requires a large investment of money, but the quality and longevity is worth it.
Re: "Are Audiophiles Wasting Their Money?" [message #77142 is a reply to message #77138] Fri, 05 July 2013 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have encountered a number of similar thought, both pro and con. I find there is some merit to each. If you go the really cheap route and get big box store stuff it is almost always unsatisfactory in some manner. Frequently it will not last well. But it is inexpensive. At the other end buying extremely expensive gear may also prove unsatisfactory, particularly from the cost aspect. There is a huge middle ground however that can often provide nearly the same level of audio performance at modest cost. What constitutes modes cost is up to the individual. While these are rather general statements, I find there are areas that to my thinking are high priced snake oil. I can not even begin to justify $1000 power cords, weird looking wooden do dads that are supposed to harmonize the room, costly wooden blocks to raise my wires off the floor and so on. I guess in the long run, I don't believe that high cost equates to high performance. Careful selection of components above the big box level will in all likelihood be quite suitable for audio reproduction. Gold plated gizmos are just like chrome on cars...a sales gimmick designed to lure you away from your hard earned dollars.

Perhaps this thread should be in Tower or Dungeon

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: "Are Audiophiles Wasting Their Money?" [message #77156 is a reply to message #77138] Tue, 09 July 2013 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, I tend to agree with you, Bruce. I don't think you need to buy $50,000 speakers to get a high quality audio experience. I haven't even heard of some of the wooden items you mentioned.

As for gold-plated connectors, I thought they were actually better due to better conductivity, but I'm willing to admit I could be wrong. Could you explain please?
Re: "Are Audiophiles Wasting Their Money?" [message #77158 is a reply to message #77156] Tue, 09 July 2013 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, the gold plating on connectors isn't hype - that one is real. Not so much for its conductivity, although it is a good conductor, but more for its corrosion resistance. Almost every contact inside a computer is gold plated, edge connectors, sockets, etc. Same with good audio connectors.

Re: "Are Audiophiles Wasting Their Money?" [message #77161 is a reply to message #77158] Tue, 09 July 2013 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, I was thinking of gold plated knobs and such where is serves only as cosmetic decoration. I agree that the plating on jacks and other contacts is helpful to keep corrosion at bay. I'm waiting now for someone to start selling gold plated copper wire inside their interconnects. Maybe someone already does. Frightning. Shocked

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: "Are Audiophiles Wasting Their Money?" [message #77166 is a reply to message #77161] Tue, 09 July 2013 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're so right! There are a ton of voodoo widgets in the audio industry. We were talking about them a while back in another thread. Have a gander at some of these mystical magical wonders!
Funny stuff!

icon6.gif  Re: "Are Audiophiles Wasting Their Money?" [message #79965 is a reply to message #77138] Fri, 16 May 2014 16:04 Go to previous message
Nisha is currently offline  Nisha
Baron
Some people 'invest' large sums of money on their cars and they thoroughly enjoy spending time in and around these auto mobiles. To them, it is money well spent. I guess the same should then be true for music (or sound) lovers. Cool
Previous Topic: Sound fading in and out
Next Topic: Does color matter to you?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:55:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout