Home » Audio » Source » HDtracks
HDtracks [message #77097] Mon, 01 July 2013 05:44 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Have you heard of HDtracks? You can download high-resolution music there, and they claim it sounds better than standard mp3s and even CDs. I just heard of the site, though, so I don't know too much about it.
Re: HDtracks [message #77314 is a reply to message #77097] Mon, 29 July 2013 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hmm, I don't know. I don't really want to spend $20 for an album download when I'm not sure the quality will be good enough to make it worth it.
Re: HDtracks [message #77425 is a reply to message #77097] Mon, 05 August 2013 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RustyC is currently offline  RustyC
Baron
Well, I'm quite intrigued! I hope someone on here has tried the site and can give us the run-down. There are a few albums on there that I wouldn't mind getting, if the quality is what they say it is. $20 doesn't really sound like a lot to me for an album. Of course, I'm a dinosaur, from back when we paid that much for a vinyl album.
Re: HDtracks [message #77429 is a reply to message #77425] Tue, 06 August 2013 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I don't know the specifics on that site but HD downloads can be really excellent. There was a series of write ups on it in Stereophile earlier this year. They concluded (these guys are really analog oriented) that it was now good enough for them. They see it as do I as the way things are likely to go. With 24/192 and higher formats fed into a good DAC the sound is really hard to tell from an analog source. Another thing that bears on the subject is that nearly all music recorded for several years now has been done on digital equipment. Yes there is a resurgence of all analog recording and mastering, but it is quite limited in scope. Worse many of the LPs made in the past were from digital tapes.

Thus, my suggestion is on services like the one mentioned is to try one selection and see if it meets your demands for quality. If so great, if not, don't use that service again.

As an additional thought, I would not bother to get any HD digital material unless I had a very high quality system to play it on. The quality of the end result will be strongly influenced by the equipment playing it. A cheap DAC feeding a typical AV system such as seem to be the norm now will not be able to fully do justice to the HD recording. If your gear came from Walmart stick to iTunes. You will save a bit of cash.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: HDtracks [message #77487 is a reply to message #77429] Tue, 13 August 2013 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
gofar99 wrote on Tue, 06 August 2013 17:04
Hi, I don't know the specifics on that site but HD downloads can be really excellent. There was a series of write ups on it in Stereophile earlier this year. They concluded (these guys are really analog oriented) that it was now good enough for them. They see it as do I as the way things are likely to go. With 24/192 and higher formats fed into a good DAC the sound is really hard to tell from an analog source. Another thing that bears on the subject is that nearly all music recorded for several years now has been done on digital equipment. Yes there is a resurgence of all analog recording and mastering, but it is quite limited in scope. Worse many of the LPs made in the past were from digital tapes.

Thus, my suggestion is on services like the one mentioned is to try one selection and see if it meets your demands for quality. If so great, if not, don't use that service again.

As an additional thought, I would not bother to get any HD digital material unless I had a very high quality system to play it on. The quality of the end result will be strongly influenced by the equipment playing it. A cheap DAC feeding a typical AV system such as seem to be the norm now will not be able to fully do justice to the HD recording. If your gear came from Walmart stick to iTunes. You will save a bit of cash.

Bruce, thanks for all the information. I particularly agree with the last part! I know a couple people who look for quality recordings but don't pay attention to quality in their sound system. It's puzzling.
Re: HDtracks [message #77491 is a reply to message #77429] Wed, 14 August 2013 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
gofar99 wrote on Tue, 06 August 2013 18:04

This is all good to know! I guess I missed the Stereophile articles on the topic. I had no idea that HD downloads were truly comparable to analog.
Re: HDtracks [message #77567 is a reply to message #77097] Thu, 22 August 2013 16:16 Go to previous message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
If I had a better system I would go for those downloads. They have a very good selection of music to choose from. I think I could pay $20 to hear "Just My Imagination" in hi definition.
Previous Topic: Cleaning Vinyl Records
Next Topic: New Cartridge
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:00:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout