Home » Audio » Source » New Cartridge
New Cartridge [message #77048] Wed, 19 June 2013 14:28 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I just got a new phono cartridge...AT 33PTG/II. It comes directly from Japan and is not widely known here. Part of their prestige line. It is a low output MC type. An enthusiast in Michigan put me on to it. Not cheap ($515 incl shipping) but really special. I have been using Dynavector 10X5, Benz Micro MC Gold and Grado Reference Platinum ones. This one just flies by all easily. Very quiet in the groove, excellent separation, sound stage and presentation. Great detail. It seems to track in a part of the groove that others don't as some nearly unplayable LPs now sound pretty good. For all you vinyl junkies this one is hard to beat. If anyone is interested I can post the source as the price varies quite a bit on them. I have seen them going fro as much as $800.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: New Cartridge [message #77051 is a reply to message #77048] Wed, 19 June 2013 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sweeeet!

Re: New Cartridge [message #77796 is a reply to message #77051] Sun, 08 September 2013 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
Wow that is good for you! Expensive though, at $515, but if it plays unplayable albums that is great news. Isn't the Dynavector 10X5 around that price? Sadly, it's above my price point.
Re: New Cartridge [message #77797 is a reply to message #77796] Sun, 08 September 2013 20:23 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The 10X5 runs about 450. As much as I liked the 10X5 the AT 33PTG/II is way better. A really nice sound. I have an AT OC9ML/II (about $300 from LPGEAR if they have any left) and it is nearly as good. It seems to have a slightly greater level of midrange detail (both are way above most cartridges) but the 33PTG as a much full and more solid bottom end. Price wise the OC9 is a real winner,but the 33PTG is significantly better all around. Both require a decent tone arm to do their job well. Mine are in Origin Live Alliance arms (about $450 each) and really sing. If you are not familiar with O.L. they are situated near the Rega facilities in England. I strongly suspect that Rega does a lot of the machining for them. But OL is a separate company. The OL arms are different from the Regas, but some components resemble parts of them. I have a Rega arm and it doesn't work nearly as well as the OL ones.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: HDtracks
Next Topic: Rethreading Eaten Cassettes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:43:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers