Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Flat pack kits
Re: Flat pack kits [message #80003 is a reply to message #80002] Tue, 20 May 2014 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, sorry. It will be a while. I just moved, and I'm looking to find a new cabinet shop.

Re: Flat pack kits [message #80005 is a reply to message #80003] Thu, 22 May 2014 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Leaving Tulsa?
Re: Flat pack kits [message #80006 is a reply to message #80005] Thu, 22 May 2014 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, Bill, I bought a house in Bella Vista, Arkansas. I had been commuting for the past couple years, living in a corporate apartment. So I decided to pull the trigger and buy a house - the landscape in the Ozarks is so beautiful.

I still have my house in South Tulsa, but it's on the market. Sort of bittersweet for me, because I have lived in Tulsa all my life and have deep roots there. But it just made sense.

Re: Flat pack kits [message #80007 is a reply to message #80006] Thu, 22 May 2014 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Easier to see WalMart from there. Very Happy

Best of luck in the new home.
Re: Flat pack kits [message #80008 is a reply to message #80007] Fri, 23 May 2014 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yesiree, Bill. You guessed it. I create point-of-sale technology for Walmart.

My career has kinda come full circle. Right out of school, one of my buddies took a job with Walmart in the IT department. He would tell me when he was working on a project and they needed hardware that they couldn't find on-the-shelf. I would design it and provide a prototype, and if the project suceeded, I would put them into production, providing thousands of boxes to go into the stores. That's when Walmart was first going towards point-of-sale systems, computerization and even connecting all the stores to the home office through satellite. Those were heady days.

In the 1980s, I made everything for Walmart from protocol converters to battery chargers to telephony devices. Each would go into the stores, some to connect the barcode readers in the tables to the registers, some to signal intercoms from the phones, some to cycle power in handheld Telxon units so the batteries would last longer.

I also had customers in the oil/gas industry, mostly manufacturers and in telecom. Those have sort of been my bread and butter industries, ones I've supported for decades now with specialized hardware and/or software designs. I found myself more connected to oil/gas through the 1990s and mostly telecom in the 2000s. But now I'm back here, sort of where I started.

It's kind of surreal for me, that I'm back here in Arkansas working on point-of-sale stuff. Now days, I provide the microcode that makes the registers do what they want them to do. They tell me what they want and I make that happen. And what's weird for me is Walmart isn't just a five-and-dime anymore, looking to embrace technology to give it an advantage over the bigger stores. They aren't Fortune 1000 anymore, they're like Fortune 1. It's nuts.

Re: Flat pack kits [message #80009 is a reply to message #80006] Sat, 24 May 2014 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HPower is currently offline  HPower
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 22 May 2014 11:29

Yeah, Bill, I bought a house in Bella Vista, Arkansas. I had been commuting for the past couple years, living in a corporate apartment. So I decided to pull the trigger and buy a house - the landscape in the Ozarks is so beautiful.

I still have my house in South Tulsa, but it's on the market. Sort of bittersweet for me, because I have lived in Tulsa all my life and have deep roots there. But it just made sense.

Wayne,
Hmm... that sounds like you are getting pretty close to that Hope place. Shocked

The 3 most feared words in racing... "Powered by Honda"
Re: Flat pack kits [message #80560 is a reply to message #80009] Wed, 24 September 2014 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speqtre
Esquire
Hey Wayne,

Hope things are settling in for you in Arkansas. I just moved from VA to AZ and am itching to build my LCR 3 pi's. I've had the AE TD12S drivers for about a year now...

Did anything ever work out with the flat packs? I was just considering hiring a local cabinet maker to make me some 'boxen', when I came across your flat pack post from last year.

Thanks again for everything you do for this community!
Re: Flat pack kits [message #80561 is a reply to message #80560] Wed, 24 September 2014 13:44 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, we were working through the flat-pack stuff about six months before I decided to move. I had been commuting and that had been taking its toll on my schedule, so I decided just to buy a house. Now I have two mortgage payments while I sort through everything, so it's sort of six one way or a half dozen the other, as far as competing priorities go. Anyway, my point is I realized I need to find a cabinet shop in my local area, or maybe work with someone that's a regular here and that has mentioned interest. Either way, it will be a little while before I crank back up to doing flat-pack kits.

One thing I've found over the three decades I've been building speakers is the relationship with the cabinet shop is very important. It has to be someone that is both furniture maker and acoustician, and more likely than not, the acoustician part is learned. So it either has to be a regular here, or it is a process with a learning curve. This is mitigated to some degree these days, since stuff is increasingly being done on CNC machines, and that leaves less room for interpretation at the cabinet shop. But I still prefer to build a relationship with the cabinet maker, and that takes some time.

Previous Topic: B&C Schematics
Next Topic: Pi flat pack midrange horns.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Nov 21 20:18:46 CST 2019

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio