Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Flat pack kits
Flat pack kits [message #77009] Wed, 12 June 2013 23:26 Go to next message
Benji is currently offline  Benji
Esquire
Good evening Wayne,

Rumour has it that you'll be offering a 4pi flat pack?

Are you able to shed more light on this and the price?

I'm thoroughly interested as it makes like significantly easier.

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Benji
Re: Flat pack kits [message #77013 is a reply to message #77009] Thu, 13 June 2013 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, we will be offering flat pack kits. Details soon.

Re: Flat pack kits [message #77018 is a reply to message #77009] Fri, 14 June 2013 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Wayne, That's really cool. Other models?

Steve
Re: Flat pack kits [message #77019 is a reply to message #77018] Fri, 14 June 2013 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, we'll start offering flat pack kits of most models this summer. That includes one π, two π, three π and four π loudspeakers.

The longest panels for the two π tower and the cornerhorns are too large to be shipped by common carriers, so would be rather expensive. I haven't decided whether or not to make them available as a "pickup" item, but even if I do that, it won't happen right away. We're focusing on costing out the rest of the line right now.

I still would encourage everyone purchasing kits to have a local lumberyard cut the panels for them, or to have a cabinet shop in their area build finished cabinets. I think this is the best way to go. But for those that want an "assemble-it-yourself" option available online, we're planning to provide flatpack kits for selected models.

Re: Flat pack kits [message #77021 is a reply to message #77009] Sat, 15 June 2013 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dheflin44 is currently offline  dheflin44
Baron
Given the weight the shipping costs on the flat packs for any of the models could easily be more than half of the overall cost. Are the flat packs going to be available only thru your website, or also thru one of the large part houses like Parts Express that can leverage shipping costs? Are the flat packs being made local to you?

Thanks,
Darrell
Re: Flat pack kits [message #77022 is a reply to message #77021] Sat, 15 June 2013 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Our flat pack kits will be made by the same company that does CNC for everything else we do - the 12π hornsub (finished and flatpack kits), the midhorns and all other completed cabinets. The only difference is we've never sold them as raw, unfinished panels, for exactly the reasons you've described. Shipping costs are rather high for large panels. And with them really just being simple boxes, I always felt it made more sense to have a local cabinet shop make boxes for kit builders. But we'll give a go of the flat packs and see how people like them.

There's no reason to introduce a middle-man like Parts Express. We started off as a DIYer enterprise, giving out free plans and doing it for the fun of it. Still have that same spirit. I'm not going to tell you I don't make a buck or two off the kits, but the whole kit idea (here) started off about 12 years ago, when people were building enough speakers from my plans it seemed worthwhile to use an economy of scale to get wholesale pricing, much like what others might call a group buy. So the products on my site are largely wholesale cost, usually cheaper than what a person could do buying them separately. Any introduction of a reseller or dealer network is pure marketing, commercialization that would simply increase cost.

Re: Flat pack kits [message #77275 is a reply to message #77009] Wed, 24 July 2013 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benji is currently offline  Benji
Esquire
Any news on the flat packs Wayne?
Re: Flat pack kits [message #95024 is a reply to message #77009] Sun, 02 January 2022 17:30 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Flat-pack kits are now available:
Previous Topic: 1Pi woofer alternative
Next Topic: 3Pi Flat Packs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:51:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio