Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » New Way To Destroy A PC DSO
New Way To Destroy A PC DSO [message #76907] Sat, 01 June 2013 21:22 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone &^%$##@!. Mad Last night I found a new way to fry a PC based digital storage scope. This BTW is my second one. Not all DSOs have their inputs protected from voltage overload. In this case the Velleman 1000 didn't. I really like the software it uses and they way it does measurements. Unfortunately the voltage input is limited to 30 volts (300 with the 10X probe). The first one died about two years ago on an AC mains ground fault. I sent it to the company to see if it could be serviced....they said I fried nearly everything and it would be far cheaper to get a new one. $%#*&^%.... OK about $350 down the tubes. Last night I was doing some measurements on a phono preamp for noise levels. When the stuff I am testing for is at -85 to -90 dbv the scope needs to be on the lowest range (5mv/div). A small blob of solder that some how managed to remain in the case shifted. It went between the B+ and the tube side of the output coupling capacitor (a hefty 1.0uf poly). The spike into the cap was probably about 200 volts. Bingo out goes the DSO. Now I'm trying to figure out how to replace it and at the same time protect the new one without compromising the precision of the measurements. Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: New Way To Destroy A PC DSO [message #76954 is a reply to message #76907] Wed, 05 June 2013 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sounds like a very fine line you're walking. Maybe you need to "settle" for something that has voltage protection. Sorry for your loss by the way, but we do learn from our mistakes. Smile
Re: New Way To Destroy A PC DSO [message #76990 is a reply to message #76954] Sat, 08 June 2013 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That totally sucks. I feel your pain on that one. Can't just clamp the inputs with SCDs or something, 'cause that would affect the measurements.

What have you decided to do?

Re: New Way To Destroy A PC DSO [message #76991 is a reply to message #76990] Sat, 08 June 2013 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, I got the cheaper version of it that comes with a built in signal generator. Less than half the price at about $155US. The differences in the scope sections don't matter to audio work. I don't need 60MHZ response 12MHZ is just fine. But... it can do direct Bode plots. A really cool feature. So while the new one is just as vulnerable as the old one, it is at least cheaper to replace.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: New Way To Destroy A PC DSO [message #76992 is a reply to message #76991] Sun, 09 June 2013 10:01 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good plan. Here's hoping let that probe doesn't slip!

Previous Topic: Nikola Tesla
Next Topic: Gourmet Coffee
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:35:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout