Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Damping H290C horn
Damping H290C horn [message #76902] Sat, 01 June 2013 09:12 Go to next message
vandevoordekoen is currently offline  vandevoordekoen
Chancellor
Hello,

Recently, I built a pair of 4Pi speakers, that sound wonderful to me!

index.php?t=getfile&id=1181&private=0

However, I read in a review (on this site) that the horns have to be damped to avoid the "plastic" treble sound. Is there a way to damp the H290C horn? I read a lot about rope caulk, but in Europe we don't use that. Would flashing tape help to damp the horn?

Or it there another way?
Thank you very much!

(Sometimes, it feels like the low frequencies of the 4pi's are a little bit too present. Especially when you hear voices in movies. I live in a little apartment, would it hurt to attenuate the bass a little bit?)

Re: Damping H290C horn [message #76903 is a reply to message #76902] Sat, 01 June 2013 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Bill Epstein is a big fan of using rope caulk to surround the horn. Some people do that to other horns too, and it sure doesn't hurt anything. If you don't have rope caulk, use modeling clay. Rope caulk is pretty similar stuff.

As for the bass, did you line the cabinet with fiberglass insulation? More importantly, did you put a sheet on the braces, spanning the cross-section, separating the woofer and tweeter? This is an important step, putting the damping material in the cabinet properly.

If you have done that, the problem is probably room interactions. I would suggest running flanking subs. It may seem counterintuitive that adding bass speakers would help smooth the bass, but it does. And the flanking sub approach in particular smoothes the range where you hear the lowest part of male voices and things like that. I notice it most in male voices, sometimes female too, acoustic guitar, cello and piano.

Re: Damping H290C horn [message #76904 is a reply to message #76903] Sat, 01 June 2013 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thank you! I will try to damp the horns with the modelling clay.

There is an insulation sheet between the high and the low section of the speaker (hanging across the brace). But it isn't high quality insulation, however thick enough.

If the quality of the insulation isn't an issue, then room modes are the problem I guess?
What subwoofer is used in the pi-sub?

Thank you!
Re: Damping H290C horn [message #76905 is a reply to message #76904] Sat, 01 June 2013 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I expect self-interference and room modes are likely the problem. I use the three π subs, which have a LAB12 woofer in them. But you can use a smaller sub, perhaps one that doesn't give as much extension, if you're worried about bothering the neighbors. The idea is to blend them to provide modal smoothing.

Re: Damping H290C horn [message #76913 is a reply to message #76905] Sun, 02 June 2013 10:29 Go to previous message
Chancellor
ok, thank you!
Previous Topic: Eminence PSD:3006 - 2" Driver
Next Topic: Coax in horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:37:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio