Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » New Addition
New Addition [message #76756] Thu, 16 May 2013 14:47 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm building a new addition to my home which will be adjacent to my garage. My question is how thick should I make my walls for the best soundproofing and listening effect? This will be my writing/music room.
Re: New Addition [message #76889 is a reply to message #76756] Thu, 30 May 2013 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm not sure how wide your wall needs to be but put some insulation in there. You could also do a double layer of drywall and you can get some whisper clips that will isolate the drywall from the studs, so vibration isn't transmitted between adjacent walls.
Re: New Addition [message #76926 is a reply to message #76756] Mon, 03 June 2013 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I hadn't heard of whisper clips until now, but what an ingenious idea! Any time you can isolate vibrations to the surrounding materials, it helps with soundproofing and overall quality.
Re: New Addition [message #77027 is a reply to message #76756] Sun, 16 June 2013 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Oh yes, vibration isolation is incredibly important for soundproofing and quality. Whisper clips are a great invention. Speaker stands that isolate the speaker are good to have for clean sound as well.
Re: New Addition [message #77035 is a reply to message #77027] Sun, 16 June 2013 16:25 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I used double layers on the outside (sheathing over plywood) and had the seams offset. I used 4 inch fiberglass in the walls with a poly vapor barrier. The inside surface was 1/4 inch paneling. I dropped the ceiling and used 6.5 inch fiberglass between the 2X8 joists then installed a suspended drop ceiling of absorbent backed ceiling tiles. With a thick carpet and pad on the floor. Nice isolation and the interior panels are just lively enough to keep the room from being too dead.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: More sound up front?
Next Topic: Bright Star IsoNodes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:17:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers