Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Class A SS amp in Audio eXpress
Re: Class A SS amp in Audio eXpress [message #10440 is a reply to message #10438] Mon, 24 April 2006 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
MB,

Have you "modded" your GC yet with the snubberized PS yet?

Gar.

Re: Class A SS amp in Audio eXpress [message #10441 is a reply to message #10440] Tue, 25 April 2006 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Boy you have to follow these threads through. I just about lost this post in the ether. I orderd the snubber but it hasn't arrived yet. But I did get a new enclosure in the meantime. Have you done any thing yourway as of now? I am wondering whether to spring for a good volume control; any advice?

Re: Class A SS amp in Audio eXpress [message #10442 is a reply to message #10441] Thu, 27 April 2006 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm still rebuilding mine. The only thing I kept was the transformer, which happens to be the most expensive part of a GC.

When I built mine a couple of years ago, it was my second or third DIY project. Most of the resistors and caps were bought for pennies at a surplus store and the point to point soldering was a mess. It wasn't a "safe" job, with lots of exposed solder joints and ungrounded chassis. Nevertheless, it was still a great sounding amp, but I decided it was time to rebuild with better parts.

I couldn't find a chassis I like (and can afford), so I've been building one from scratch. This is taking most of my time. Compared to the chassis, the electronics is a snap.

This time around, I used the 3886 and snubberized PS. Love the change with the PS. The "classic" PS scheme with only 1,000uF seems anemic by comparison. That's why I keep asking about your PS. Interested in hearing your impression of this mod. For signal and feedback resistors, I used Kiwame carbons. I used these on my Marchand boards (a completely different project) and loved the sound. Smooth and sweet.

I'll post pix as soon as I'm done. Keep me up to date on you PS mod.

P.S. About the volume control, if you're using a preamp, you don't need one on the GC. But having a pot in place does allow you to use the GC as a stand alone. And yes, spring for a good one if you're going to use it. I've got a bunch of stepped ALPS from a local shop during a close-out sale and their great. Not too hard to build your own with a DP12T switch. 24 steps is nice, but in reality, 12 steps is all you need. You just have to figure out what those 12 steps are. If you do use a cheap pot, wire it in shunt so it doesn't sit in the signal path.

Gar.

Class A SS amp; What issue of Audio eXpress? [message #10445 is a reply to message #10430] Wed, 27 December 2006 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francois G is currently offline  Francois G
Esquire

Asked before, what issue Audio eXpress? [message #10446 is a reply to message #10433] Thu, 04 January 2007 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francois G is currently offline  Francois G
Esquire
It would be helpful if you could state the aX issue.

Have you built it yet?

Francois

"A Solid-State Single-Ended Power Amp" [message #10447 is a reply to message #10446] Thu, 04 January 2007 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's in the April 2006 issue of AudioXpress.

"A Solid-State Single-Ended Power Amp" [message #10448 is a reply to message #10445] Thu, 04 January 2007 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's in the April 2006 issue of AudioXpress.

You will find better designs at diyaudio.com solid state [message #10459 is a reply to message #10445] Fri, 23 May 2008 16:02 Go to previous message
Scooter is currently offline  Scooter
Esquire
The solid state section of diyaudio.com has free schematics for better designs. Some designs use new technology like On-Semi ThermalTrak temperature compensated bipolar output transistors. Some designs clone time tested favorites like the Krell KSA100. Some of the best designers in the world make frequent contributions.

Previous Topic: Need Hitachi k149 and j49 replacements
Next Topic: Marantz SR-640 SR640 Idle current
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:59:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout