Home » Audio » Radio » Same Songs Over and Over Again
Same Songs Over and Over Again [message #76454] Tue, 23 April 2013 14:43 Go to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
Why is it that radio stations play the same songs over and over again? I can understand say, a top 100 station doing this, but one of my favorite stations is a rock station and there are so many different rock songs to choose from. Why play the same 3 Pink Floyd songs over and over again when Pink Floyd has so many other good songs? Play some of their other stuff!!!
Re: Same Songs Over and Over Again [message #76461 is a reply to message #76454] Tue, 23 April 2013 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
With classic rock bands like that I'm sure it has to do with different labels owning different songs. Some labels want a lot of exposure for the band, hence a lot of airplay, while other labels don't really care.
Re: Same Songs Over and Over Again [message #77890 is a reply to message #76454] Mon, 23 September 2013 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's probably true, Kingfish. It doesn't make it any less frustrating for the listener though! Everyone gets tired of hearing the same songs repeatedly. It's always neat when you hear songs you haven't heard in a long time.
Re: Same Songs Over and Over Again [message #77891 is a reply to message #77890] Mon, 23 September 2013 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
It could be that the DJ just liked the songs. Some actually get to pick what they play and they then play those they like. At least until something else comes along they like better.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Same Songs Over and Over Again [message #78050 is a reply to message #76454] Tue, 08 October 2013 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gentry is currently offline  Gentry
Chancellor
Some stations are by request. They play the songs they get the most requests for. If they don't get new requests the same song could just keep coming to the top of the stack.
Re: Same Songs Over and Over Again [message #78072 is a reply to message #78050] Thu, 10 October 2013 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, listener request often plays a big role, especially when they are doing a specialty program. A local station does an '80s night every Friday and I frequently hear the same songs each Friday. That is much less annoying than hearing the same song at least once a day though!
Re: Same Songs Over and Over Again [message #78144 is a reply to message #76454] Fri, 18 October 2013 20:52 Go to previous message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
I've heard that DJs are able to pick some of their favorites but there is a list of songs that have to be played on a daily basis. If you think about it, it is a form of advertising for the artist and record company. It wouldn't surprise me to know that the record companies decide what songs get played more often.
Previous Topic: Working in a Radio Station
Next Topic: Older RCA/Victor radio collectors?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:56:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio