Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Deafness and Rock and Roll (Music causing hearing loss)
Deafness and Rock and Roll [message #76438] Tue, 23 April 2013 07:32 Go to next message
The Mother is currently offline  The Mother
Baron
It turns out that I should have listened to my mother, who frequently yelled, "Cut the music down before you make yourself deaf!" I'm far from completely deaf, and it's been more than a few years, but she was at least partially right. I have constant, fairly loud ringing in my ears and what the ENT calls "significant" hearing loss. The doctor agrees with mother, that loud music over several years could have laid the foundation for later hearing diminishment. Any one else out there from the "If the music's too loud, you're too old." generation?

If at first you don't succeed, go back and do it the way Mother told you to.
Re: Deafness and Rock and Roll [message #76484 is a reply to message #76438] Thu, 25 April 2013 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I used to listen to music pretty loudly and I still don't always wear ear protection when I should (like at air shows). However, during every day life I'm more conscious of my ears than I used to be, and hopefully that will be enough.

I'm sorry you are dealing with hearing loss.
Re: Deafness and Rock and Roll [message #76553 is a reply to message #76438] Mon, 29 April 2013 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes it does happen, after doing live sound for many years, and back in the old days going to many concerts back in the 70's when they set up walls of speakers, you will suffer hearing loss. I can't really hear anything 13khz nowadays. That's why when I mix live sound I try to keep the spl's between 94-104db C-weighting (20-20khz) at the mix position.

OSHA rules on spl levels state that you can with stand 104db at A-weighting (500hz-20khz)for 4 hours at max before hearing damage sets in. My A-weighting at mix postion average's 90-96db nowadays, 96-104db C-weighting so as to not make people deaf and not get the cops called on me for exccessive SPL's.
Re: Deafness and Rock and Roll [message #76570 is a reply to message #76438] Tue, 30 April 2013 19:31 Go to previous message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
I'm from that generation as well. The only time I've subjected myself to loud noises is my home stereo or MP3 player. Not too loud for OSHA, but still pretty loud at times.
Previous Topic: Making immigrants legal?
Next Topic: Vietnam Vet found After 44 Years
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 16:58:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout