Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Very Good Construction article
Very Good Construction article [message #10408] Sat, 25 February 2006 18:36 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Rod Elliott has a good article in this months Practicle Electronics detailing how to construct his 3 way active crossover. It is very thorough and well written; even to the point of allowing a first timer to build this unit.

Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10409 is a reply to message #10408] Sat, 25 February 2006 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, cool! Thanks for the mention, I'll have to check it out.

Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10410 is a reply to message #10408] Wed, 01 March 2006 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
MB,

Is this article an expansion of Rob's Project09?

Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10415 is a reply to message #10410] Fri, 03 March 2006 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know G-Man; this is a linkwitz-riley but it is a three way design. Last year I bought his original x-over board, his boards are only a couple bucks each but I haven't done anything with it yet and If I remmember without looking mine was the po9. I am leafing through the article but I can't find any reference to a model number. Let me search the thing; there has to be a model number somewhere. This article is a really complete and thorough build description with wiring shots and everything. It looks as if you can buy it as a kit but I don't see a source reference. I'll let you know.

How's the chip amp project coming?

Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10416 is a reply to message #10415] Sun, 05 March 2006 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think it's funny how you go all the way to Australia for your projects when you can get some world-class boards right next door from Marchand in Rochester.

I'm working on several chip projects simutaneously. Rotating them depending on what parts have come in and what I'm in the mood for. Finished wiring up a Carlos-Snubberized PS and a pair of LM3875. Let me tell you. Stop playing around with your itzy-bitzy power supply from the "classic" GC design and move up to the big boys. Huge difference in the weight of your sound. Big improvement on the midbass and sub-bass with no ill-effect on midrange.

I've also finished plugging 2 out the 4 LM3886-based boards I ordered from Marchand (2 channels per board). Tried them out on the Snubbed-PS and I love them. I'll give more detail as the project progress.

g.

Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10417 is a reply to message #10416] Mon, 06 March 2006 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey; I'm open to all ideas. My mistake but I was always under the impression that Marchand was pretty pricey for their stuff. I'll check the catalogue. I only jumped in because I wanted to try GC's on the cheap. 90$ for everything is hard to beat.
Looking forward to your results.

Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10418 is a reply to message #10417] Mon, 06 March 2006 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
MB,

Does the $90 include powersupply? If so, that's a great deal.

Marchand's prices aren't pricey. I just looked at ESP's pricing for boards and they're in the same ballpark ($20-$30). What I can say is that Marchand's boards are very high quality. Thick and rigid, double-side and teflon coated. The brackets and heatsinks you can order with his amp boards are drilled and tapped to fit the boards perfectly.

Marchand's version of the GC (PM21) is available as a stereo board for just $20. $100 gets you all the parts and the board. Sounds a bit pricey, but the design gives you the flexibility to run the amp with inverting, non-inverting, or differential inputs after it's been assembled. You can also get a power supply unit that includes a 160VA toriodal with 20,000uF per rail for another $100.

I know this sounds like a commerical for Phil, but I think his stuff has been overlooked and underrated.

g.

Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10419 is a reply to message #10418] Mon, 06 March 2006 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; here's the breakdown. The low-end kit runs 30$ and the audio-phile, Black Gate Cap Rikens etc goes for 69$ w/o transformer but with PS and parts. So I needed a trans which I used a Hammond toroidal that ran me 40$ but it is a good one. Then many of the connectors and wiring I had already so there's the 90$ something.
The passive parts are pretty expensive if you buy them solo. The boards on Brian GT's amp are very high quality double-sided and well laid out.
There is however no option for changing to an inverting config.
So there we have the skinny on those. I like the idea of the swap capability and the what looks like bigger PS caps. Oh and the heatsinks are not included I had to get those.
I amfamiliar with Marchand Quality; I had a active cross-over of theirs many moons ago when he was first starting out.
So how did you set-up the whole unit?

Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10420 is a reply to message #10419] Mon, 06 March 2006 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No setup yet. What I would like to end up with is two 4-channel amps based on the four Marchand boards. I see these boards as a very cheap and easy way to build a set of high quality multi-channel amps that I can use to experiment with various set ups. Bridging, paralleling, active XO, home theater, etc.

The second project I'm working on is an all-chip integrated amp, based on a pair of "classic" GC and opamp-based preamp with tone control and separate opamp headphone amp. The theme of this project is "how good can an all chip system be without using "boutique" components.

g.

Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10421 is a reply to message #10420] Mon, 06 March 2006 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good idea. The boutique thing is the most important since so many of the commercial amps now come with those chips the only way to improve on the sound for a DIY'er is to use them. Then see if there is a worthwhile difference. Any thoughts?

Previous Topic: Tandberg TR-2080
Next Topic: What does Yamaha use
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:27:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout