Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Very Good Construction article
Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10422 is a reply to message #10421] Mon, 06 March 2006 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My thought is that I don't have the time, money, patience and listening skills to properly test different implementations and evaluate the merits of boutique vs common parts.

I'm sure there are differences between the various types of coupling caps and resistors, but at $10/$20/$30 a piece, I'm not in the position to test for the hell of it. (Remember how all those resitors you bought from Angela's add up?) I think this is where the large manufacturers have an advantage. The serious ones set aside time and resource to test and refine beyond what most DIY'ers are able to do in their basement. (Then the accountants come in and tell the engineers to use the cheapest parts.)

Because I can only afford (and allowed by my wife) to build a limited number of amps, I tend to stick to "tried-n-trues"

Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10423 is a reply to message #10422] Mon, 06 March 2006 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah I placed those 7$ resistors on my workbench taped to the shelf so I can remind myself how easy it is to be a dumbass.
I have to say though that Brian GT's amp sounds better with the Black Gates and really the values are such that they don't add up to that much. Now when I finish Rods P 32 pre-amp I will have a good handle on how much that difference is.

Still interested in getting together? [message #10424 is a reply to message #10423] Mon, 06 March 2006 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
John,

You still interested in getting together? We tossed the idea around a couple of weeks back. I'd like to make arrangements with Martinelli to pick up my bandsaw and I have my eye on Apr 22. Prairie Home Companion is taping a show on that Saturday in Rochester.

Re: Still interested in getting together? [message #10425 is a reply to message #10424] Mon, 06 March 2006 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No Kidding; I like that Garrison Keillor guy.
"It was a slow day in Lake Woebegone this past week...
I have to co-ordinate with the boss; I'll get back to you pronto.
Rochester is 9 hours away; thats the only draw; it's a bit of a hike.

Re: Still interested in getting together? [message #10426 is a reply to message #10425] Wed, 08 March 2006 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just read the show details again and realized it's in Rochester MN, not Rochester NY. Unfortunately, no show.

I still need to coordinate with Martinelli on the saw, but I understand that 9 hrs is a long ways away.

Re: Still interested in getting together? [message #10427 is a reply to message #10426] Wed, 08 March 2006 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Rochester Minn. Close but no cigar. Too bad I would have liked to see him but thats a little too far. I have to examine the possibilities; it ain't over yet.

Re: Very Good Construction article [message #10449 is a reply to message #10409] Wed, 26 September 2007 12:16 Go to previous message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
Talk about hot article, I was able to get tons of my questions answered through just reading this. Thanks!

Previous Topic: Tandberg TR-2080
Next Topic: What does Yamaha use
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:06:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout