Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » What after Pass Aleph 3?
What after Pass Aleph 3? [message #10403] Sun, 19 February 2006 14:58 Go to next message
Eldragon is currently offline  Eldragon
Viscount
I have envisioned this progression on moving on to Planar ESL world hypothetical Aleph wont cut it with watt-thirsty ML's. Aleph's have been good to me, the best I had and I doubt there is a 'life' after Aleph 3.

Re: What after Pass Aleph 3? [message #10404 is a reply to message #10403] Tue, 21 February 2006 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have said before the best SS amp I have ever heard and believe me it was very audibly noticeable was the Threshold Stasis Class A. What a beautifull sound and I think the Aleph is very similar to that amp; is that correct?

Re: What after Pass Aleph 3? [message #10405 is a reply to message #10404] Tue, 21 February 2006 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I never listened Threshold amp. I never listened Pass before I bought it. It was the first time I bought something before listening, and to replace my aging Sonic Frontiers amp. You are correct, it is beautifull sounding piece. I am wondering is anything new as good as this. Like some digital amp? Or they are totaly different species?

Re: What after Pass Aleph 3? [message #10406 is a reply to message #10405] Tue, 21 February 2006 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; I think the chip amps come pretty close if you use them at very low volume on efficient speakers. The Threshold had a sound that reminded me of a very good PP tube amp but a little different in a way I can't explain well.
I wish I had not let that one go because with the Pi Speakers I would have been very happy.

Used Aleph 3? [message #10407 is a reply to message #10406] Tue, 21 February 2006 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
$800 on Audiogon, where I got mine. Also i paired it with Cary SLP-50 pre-amp. Excellent match.

Re: Used Aleph 3? [message #10443 is a reply to message #10407] Sat, 13 May 2006 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edta is currently offline  edta
Esquire
First Watt's Aleph J is Nelson Pass' latest version of the Aleph 30 and it is sweet. Slightly less powerful and more for 8 ohms and up, it was noticeably better than the Aleph 30 in my system. More open, more tuneful, lively, and transparent. Pass is or was also producing the F3 power amp which is a SINGLE stage JFET class A, single ended power amp. This might be the best sounding of all, if you can live with 10 wpc. Check out the First Watt website.

Re: What after Pass Aleph 3? [message #10444 is a reply to message #10406] Thu, 24 August 2006 16:02 Go to previous message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
You might want to look at a vintage QUAD transistor amp such as the 405. The design is very similar to the Threshold Stasis. You might like the sound.

Dave

Previous Topic: TX coupled amp
Next Topic: Cambridge Audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:47:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers