Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » An amazing listening session with the H290C
Re: An amazing listening session with the H290C [message #76494 is a reply to message #76471] Thu, 25 April 2013 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Speaking of Tube Amps, last night I finally got around to installing the Hammond cover on my Single-ended Pentode amp so the Grandkid can safely listen with me.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1141&private=0

Then I realised the power switch was somewhat less than ideally positioned

index.php?t=getfile&id=1140&private=0

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

So I replaced it with the 45 Amp.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1143&private=0

With the H290C, the 1.8 Watt 45s are easily 2dB louder and the imaging, especially on full orchestral, is improved. In fact, I seldom listen to orchestral music when the 45 Amp is in use because it can't handle the power of the orchestra. Last night, however, I listened to and enjoyed Brahms Symphony #1, as big as it gets.

Yeah, there's a touch of added brightness with the Cap in C1 and a few recordings could do without, but overall, perhaps because I can't hear highs at my age, anyway, it's just about perfect.

Re: An amazing listening session with the H290C [message #76496 is a reply to message #76494] Thu, 25 April 2013 15:55 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've got an idea for a way you can flip that switch through the cover remotely. I can't take credit though, it's Rube Goldberg's idea, actually. Laughing

index.php?t=getfile&id=1144&private=0
Previous Topic: Rear wall distance
Next Topic: Speaking of even more tube amps:
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:42:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers