Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » PS for GC
Re: PS for GC [message #10401 is a reply to message #10400] Wed, 15 February 2006 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It's about two hour drive to Buffalo.
I should probably contact Martinelli first to see if he's willing to host us before making any more plans.

Re: PS for GC [message #10402 is a reply to message #10401] Wed, 15 February 2006 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Absolutely.

Re: PS for GC [message #10411 is a reply to message #10391] Wed, 01 March 2006 08:01 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
M,

Any update on the PS? I'm (very slowly) working on a couple of GC projects right now. Last weekend, I dropped into a surplus store, purchased $10 of caps and resistors, built a snubberised filter and tested it out on my new GC.

I can't give a detailed comparison because there are too many different variables between this test unit and my normal GC. However, I can report that the bass is much more solid. And this is only with a 15+15 25VA transformer. Can't wait to plug in the 22+22 225VA that I have on order.

There doesn't seem to be any degradation on the mids and trebles, but like I've said, I haven't done a direct comparsion.

On a side note, I still surprised how big the gap is in sound between the GC and commercial receivers. Last Christmas, I replaced by 5 year old $200 Sony HT receiver with a Yamaha RXV1500. The Yamaha is still entry/mid level, but very well built and was a big improvement over the Sony. Even musical when you enable the STRAIGHT "By-pass All" function. But the GC's still miles ahead. Luckily, the receiver has Pre-Out function, so it gives me a big incentive to complete a five channel GC.

Gar.

Previous Topic: Monarchy Audio SM-70
Next Topic: Distortion vs Output
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:08:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers