Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Crossover Boards and Biamping
Re: Pi Crossover Boards and Biamping [message #76161 is a reply to message #76148] Wed, 03 April 2013 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nelson Bass
Baron
Dave_S wrote on Wed, 03 April 2013 01:47

I might consider building a second F5 or another Nelson Pass design. At this point, it is just curiosity. I definitely do not need the power of a second amp

Sorry, but I believe you'll introduce more problems with your ideas than you'll solve. Been there, done that.

I once cloned the Emerald Physics CS2 loudspeaker using software based crossover and even that I had a pretty good idea of what I did, I gave up. No matter what I couldn't get the system to really sing.

Everybody can make a crossover between two drivers but make the speaker really sing takes a lot more. Just read the progress Wayne did over the years. If one thinks its an easy task to make a perfect crossover don't fully understand what it takes to make a fully optimized crossover for a loudspeaker system. Theory is one thing but one really needs to make lots of experiments, measurements, adjustments and listening tests.
I know a very skilled person nearby and it takes him about a year to finetune a crossover for a speaker system...

For a loudspeaker as efficient as the 4pi I see zero advantage using separate amplifiers for the tweeter and mid/bass driver....

You've been warned!

A better DAC sounds like a much better project than the bi-amplifier project!

While the F5 is very very good for a solid state amplifier you can make it even better. Look at the F6 as the Semisouth JFETs brings down the overall distortion. I rebuild my F5 for my own variant of the J2 and like the result.

But we can do even better than the solid state amps... The Atma-sphere OTLs transform music reproduction into high fidelity beyond anything else I've heard in my system no matter the cost (the highly acclaimed AudioNote 300B SET can't compete if you ask me).
You can order the DIY instructions for the kit amplifier at Atma-sphere for a very reasonable cost and build your own from scratch. Or order the kit or the fully built amp(s).

I really look forward to finish my 4pis, 3pi subs and my DIY M60 OTL. The end is near... Wink

Re: Pi Crossover Boards and Biamping [message #76164 is a reply to message #76161] Wed, 03 April 2013 21:19 Go to previous message
Dave_S is currently offline  Dave_S
Chancellor
Nelson Bass,

I will have to do some research on Atma-sphere OTLs. Making a tube amplifier does interest me. I felt the need to make the F5 as the reference for comparison. The F6 looks less familiar with the transformers, so I would probably stay away. Some version of the J2 may be interesting if the supply of SemiSouth are not depleted or suitable replacements arrive if and when I decide to build. I also have some interest in the 7 Pi speakers. An intermediate step may be to educate myself on amplifier design basics.

Maybe bi-amping does not make sense. I have not particular goal for sound improvement in mind. I am probably just looking for an excuse to build another amp.

A DAC is definitely on the top of my priorities. After I built my 4 Pi's, I discovered how bad digital music playback can be. The term jitter was new to me and I thought the transfer of digital information was perfect. I am reasonably happy with my Squeezebox Touch, but there should be room for improvement.

Dave
Previous Topic: 2 Pi Tower Plan
Next Topic: 2225H midwoofers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 14:32:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers