Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » DIY Digital Amp Kits
DIY Digital Amp Kits [message #10329] Fri, 19 August 2005 15:01 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been waiting for something like this to come to market and it's available now in Europe. Even with shipping, it still seems reasonable. Hopefully we'll see something like in N.Amer by the end of this year.

gar.

41 Hz Audio Amp 6 [message #10334 is a reply to message #10329] Tue, 18 October 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I completed one today and it sounds surprisingly good on the test stand with no upgrades. The Amp 6 is almost identical to the Amp 3 except that it uses through-hole mounted (instead of surface mount) components, making it much easier to build. I don't plan to sell my SET monoblocks just yet, but for $39 plus $11 air freight it's a good project for anyone wanting to sling some solder. It's complete with power supply on the board, except it doesn't include the power transformer - I'm using a 12.6 volt Radio Shack. I ordered a Hammond chassis plus RCA's, speaker terminals, IEC connector, etc, and will build it into the case when it arrives.

Re: 41 Hz Audio Amp 6 [message #10335 is a reply to message #10334] Tue, 18 October 2005 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I remember hearing about 41 Hz and thinking it was an unusual name. It's a digital amp, isn't it?

Re: 41 Hz Audio Amp 6 [message #10336 is a reply to message #10335] Tue, 18 October 2005 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, it uses the Tripath 2020 chip - 25W into 4 ohms, 12 W into 8, but those are optimistic ratings because it's distortion characteristics are much like a SET amp. More realistic ratings for under 1% distortion are 15W and 8W. With less than two hours playing time it's too early to evaluate, but it seems to have a nice clear, but slightly bright/siblant sound. I plan to replace the cheap electrolytic input caps with Northcreeks when I install it in the case, which along with some breakin time should help tame the brightness. It should be perfect for driving the 3 Pi Theaters by the time the GPAF rolls around.

Re: 41 Hz Audio Amp 6 [message #10339 is a reply to message #10334] Wed, 26 October 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I finally completed it last night using a 15 volt, 50VA toroid transformer from Digikey, Zen coupling caps from Northcreek Music, and all the other parts from Parts Express. At first it sounded a bit bright and lacked dimensionality, but those characteristics have disappeared with some break in time. In fact, I was comparing it to a Parasound HCA-1000A Ss amp and a pair of Bottlehead Paramour 2A3 tube SET amps this morning and found the sound of the Amp 6 is somewhere in between the other two. I'm very happy with the sound of this little amp.

Re: 41 Hz Audio Amp 6 [message #10340 is a reply to message #10339] Wed, 26 October 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

How would you compare the bass of the T-Amp? Is it tight like other SS amps? I wonder if the T-Amp would make a nice bass amp to pair with a low-power SET for the mid/treble in a bi-amp setup.

Bi-Amping [message #10341 is a reply to message #10340] Wed, 26 October 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The bass is more SS-like than tube-like. It has really good synergy with the 3 Pi Theater Speakers and, because of their high sensitivity, can drive them to room filling levels. I have a passive attenuator I can use to match its level to the Paramours and will try it with the Amp 6 driving the Delta 12LF's and the Paramours driving the Eminence horns. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Re: Bi-Amping [message #10342 is a reply to message #10341] Wed, 26 October 2005 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd really like to hear that setup on the sevens too, because the woofer is crossed over lower and there is more of the mids that could be covered by the SET.

Re: Bi-Amping [message #10343 is a reply to message #10342] Thu, 27 October 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You're right. With a two way speaker like the 3 Pi crossed over at 1.6khz, and the SET driving the tweeter, you're not going to hear that magic SET midrange because it's handled by the SS-driven woofer. Too bad I don't have any three way speakers to test it with.

Re: Bi-Amping [message #10344 is a reply to message #10343] Thu, 27 October 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

And even as a three-way, I'd rather that the midrange be crossed over pretty low - lower than most - 'cause a lot of 'em crossover pretty high in the midrange, even an octave above middle C. I've always tended to try and avoid crossover in that range, either well above or well below but not smack dab in the midrange.

Previous Topic: Has someone tried using two Sonic Impact amps?
Next Topic: customise valvestate vs102r
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:35:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout