Home » Audio » Pro Sound » First instrument ideas
First instrument ideas [message #76074] Fri, 29 March 2013 06:05 Go to next message
Kara is currently offline  Kara
Chancellor
What would you recommend as a good choice for a starter instrument for an adult? My sister wants to learn something and has no particular type of instrument in mind, so long as it is not too expensive to buy or to learn.
Re: First instrument ideas [message #76133 is a reply to message #76074] Tue, 02 April 2013 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chokabloc is currently offline  Chokabloc
Chancellor
It's hard to recommend something without knowing a little more. Is space an issue? Piano lessons can be affordable because it's a popular thing to do, but without the space for one in your house practice would be limited.
Re: First instrument ideas [message #76288 is a reply to message #76074] Sun, 14 April 2013 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If she doesn't have a preference for instrument, that makes me question her motivation a bit. Usually people have something in mind to learn to play.

If she doesn't have room for a piano, perhaps she can learn to play guitar.
Re: First instrument ideas [message #76365 is a reply to message #76074] Thu, 18 April 2013 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Mother is currently offline  The Mother
Baron
Has your sister considered renting an instrument for a while first? Plenty of music stores also have monthly rentals of different types of instruments. The folks at the music store can be a great resource for finding a teacher too.

If at first you don't succeed, go back and do it the way Mother told you to.
Re: First instrument ideas [message #76429 is a reply to message #76365] Mon, 22 April 2013 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
Someone recommended guitar earlier in the thread, but as a guitar player myself, I wouldn't recommend it unless it's specifically the instrument you want to play. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT an easy instrument to learn. I also have experience with piano and alto saxophone and between the three, I would recommend the sax first, the piano second, and the guitar last in order of easiest to hardest.
Re: First instrument ideas [message #76453 is a reply to message #76074] Tue, 23 April 2013 14:38 Go to previous message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
If your sister really wants to learn to play an instrument but doesn't have one in mind specifically, I would second the rental route that someone else suggested. There's no sense in her buying an instrument, even if it is an "inexpensive" one, if she's just going to end up disliking it in the end.
Previous Topic: Fixing A Guitar
Next Topic: Reverb
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:12:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout