Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Hum
Hum [message #10319] Mon, 23 May 2005 17:38 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I had a little hum in my GC so I tried this little fix and it seems to work. I went to the golf shop and bought some of the lead tape they use to wrap clubheads. It's about 5$ a roll. I then lined it up on the wall between the transformer and the PC boards; overlapped it and ran strips down to the chassis. Hum is gone so far.

Re: Hum [message #10320 is a reply to message #10319] Mon, 23 May 2005 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, so the flux from the transformer was coupling over into the circuit. That's a good fix.

Re: Hum [message #10321 is a reply to message #10320] Tue, 24 May 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks. I didn't have the room to place the trans further out.

Re: Hum [message #10322 is a reply to message #10319] Sat, 02 July 2005 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
Wow got to try that. I built one in an surplus power supply and have some hum. I didn't like it enought to fight with it. but hey I'll go $5...John

Re: Hum [message #10323 is a reply to message #10322] Tue, 05 July 2005 09:37 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
For the price they are a good thing. I have slapped together a couple for freinds and they are very happy; but it is true, they don't have any kind of magic. Smooth and clear but uninspireing.
I started to build them because they were cheap and helped me to learn construction techniques; as well as offering an opportunity to see first-hand how changing caps and resistors affected the sound.
After a long journey here and elsewhere sampling many amps/tweaks/mods etc. I think I have come full circle. The older Loftin-white/WE 91/Mullard etc. tube amps are the amps that do music best.
The arguments that chase their tail about rolled off extremes and harmonic distortion are utterley useless in describing music and sound.
Most of the people who stand behind the spec group are mostly listening to highly processed reproduced CD's and Vinyl and as such cannot enjoy real tone and life in the equipment because it reveals this badly engineered sound. Good older tube based recordings are the only way to understand sound; and they don't do well on flat/etched/hyper-revealing equipment.
Thats why I dropped the SS experimentation for now.

Previous Topic: Experience with Marchand Amps?
Next Topic: I never shilled for Audiogon before, but...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:08:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio