Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Do I need a high powered SS when a GC might do?
Do I need a high powered SS when a GC might do? [message #10293] Wed, 09 February 2005 14:02 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
One of my goals with this hobby is to eventually move into a three-way active crossover multiamp system. It's a long term goal and will develop as time and money is available.

The next step I want to take is to build an amp for the woofer. It's a JBL 2235H and will be used up to 500Hz. I don't know where I got the idea from, but I seem to think that I need a high power SS amp for this purpose. I've been looking into kits from Seal, Marchand, ESP, ampslab, etc.

BUT... in my current set up, a 10W tube amp is enought to drive the entire speaker in higher than acceptable levels.

SO... am I completely off base with my search for a high power MOSFET amp when technically, a 5W amp would be more than sufficient in this setup?

I can build another gainclone with boutique parts for less than a quarter of the cost of this SS kits. Would I be missing anything if I just opted for a gainclone instead of an SS amp?

Love to hear some feedback from those who have lived with both a gainclone and a good quality SS amp.

Gar.

Re: Do I need a high powered SS when a GC might do? [message #10295 is a reply to message #10293] Wed, 09 February 2005 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Garman; I think you got the idea from the fact that bass requires lots of power and SS is current driven. Thats how most people I hear understand the SS/bass thing. I need to ask; how loud do you go? Unless it's house or beats what could require such phenomenal power? The JBL is pretty efficient right?
My GC runs the theater 4's to plenty loud, I can't stay in the room if I turn it up. I think the same amp for all drivers; every mixed bag I have heard had an annoying discontinuity apparent in the music.

Re: Do I need a high powered SS when a GC might do? [message #10296 is a reply to message #10293] Wed, 09 February 2005 21:32 Go to previous message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
I have several gainclones , two PP tube amps(never owned a SET), and several Marantz 2230 and 2238 amps. Still like the battery P/S NIGC the best, although a two way system using a SE sand amp for a full range and a GC for low HZ 15" low Qts driver which is rolled off at 150-180 Hz , both in sealed cabs is in the works. Otherwise just BLHs GC driven appears to give the best bang for the buck.
ron

Previous Topic: Cayin 265Ai 40 wpc class A integrated
Next Topic: Sonic Impact Technologies Class T Amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:29:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers