Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Cayin 265Ai 40 wpc class A integrated
Cayin 265Ai 40 wpc class A integrated [message #10292] Wed, 09 February 2005 04:12 Go to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Link to a review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/cayin-265ai-integrated-amplifier- ...

Another link: http://ecoustics.audioreview.com/pscAudioReview/Amplification/Integrated+Amp ...

This is a beautiful brushed aluminum $1400, 40 wpc class A purist integrated amp. So any opinions/knowledge of it?

Several folks I know have bought the $900 Cayin TA-30 30 wpc push-pull EL34 based tube integrated and have been quite impressed for the money. Professional reviews of the TA-30 have also been quite positive.

I'm assembling a system for a dedicated listening room that will include a Ack dAck! v.2 DAC, stock Sony DVP-S7700 to start moving to a CEC TL-51, and Bob Brines FTA-2000 speakers (see his forum here). The F200A are high quality drivers that are rated 30-20,000 Hz, 90 dB/w/m, 8 ohms, 27 watts continous/80 watts peak. Like any Fostex I've heard, they prefer a warmer, good tube like sounding amp. But with their low frequency output, these speakers need a more dampened bass than tube amps typically provide. With the mass loaded transmission line loading they seem to drive very easy for the given efficiency rating.

I've also been looking at Audio Zone AMP-STi, JLTi-Mk II, Unison Unico P, Blue Circle CS, Vasant K GS-120S, and Portal Panache at similar street prices. Each are well reviewed with tube warmth and simple designs. Chip amps are supposed to mate well with single driver speakers.

BTW I listen to mostly classical and jazz at moderate levels. The room will be 13 ft x 21 ft x 8 ft and I plan on listening nearfield.

thanks for your input

I have a TA-30 [message #10294 is a reply to message #10292] Wed, 09 February 2005 14:26 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Can't help you with the 265, but I can tell you the only way I will part with my TA-30 is when it is pulled from my dead hands. I love this amp, and I picked it up for $550 NEW Too bad the 30 is no longer being made......Colin

Previous Topic: Sony STR-6065
Next Topic: Do I need a high powered SS when a GC might do?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:59:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio