Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » DIY vs. pre-manufacturered chip amp?
DIY vs. pre-manufacturered chip amp? [message #10286] Sun, 30 January 2005 13:09 Go to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Seems like this forum is DIY based. I've not assembled electronics since 1980, and had a rather mixed experience with a DIY chip amp I auditioned at home last fall. So I'm hesistant to go that route. So I'm looking at S/N 40 wpc pre-manufacturered integrated, Channel Islands Audio VMB-1 40 watt monoblocks, or Audio Zone AMP-STi 40 wpc integrated. Which leads (finally) into my question:

I just found the specialized kit website with their "integrated" that looks very much like the AMP-STi. Is it the same thing (or very close)? How much for the parts? Wonder if any of you guys would like to assemble it for me?

thanks

Re: DIY vs. pre-manufacturered chip amp? [message #10287 is a reply to message #10286] Sun, 30 January 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you looked at the Selectronic site? They're a sponsor here, and you'd be surprised how many products they carry. Their website only shows a few things but their catalog must have 5000 listings, it's a half inch thick. Check 'em out.

Re: DIY vs. pre-manufacturered chip amp? [message #10288 is a reply to message #10286] Mon, 31 January 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Can't give you advice, but I can give you some background. The Audio Zone amp offered by Audio Oasis is a gainclone and is built by Peter Daniels, one of the more accomplished gainclone builders in that community. He frequently posts in diyaudio.com and you can see some of his work there.

One one hand, his Audio Zone amps have reviewed very well, with SixMoon ranking it higher than the original Gain Card. Peter's a machinist by trade and the metal work on his units are top notch. Brandname audiophile hardware is used throughout. I have not heard his amps but have seen them in a couple of Toronto area stores.

On the other hand, it's a gainclone, so it's based on a very simple design that most people with soldering skills can do themselves. Peter typically shares his layout on the discussion board, so you can even copy that if you want. What you're paying for is an expertly assembled chassis, beefy transformer, very expensive hardware, and his labour.

Whether you should do it yourself will really depend on what you're looking for.

regards,
Gar.

Re: DIY vs. pre-manufacturered chip amp? [message #10289 is a reply to message #10288] Mon, 31 January 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Thanks Gar.

I followed some of the DIYaudio forum stuff just as he was creating Audio Zone a couple of years ago. The machining aspects of his amps seem a bit over the top for me. His original 40 wpc 1 input integrated was too expensive IMO at $2000 USD. he even bragged on forum once that the knobs ($60/pair) where the most expensive part of the build. But now with the recent introduction of the AMP-STi (40 wpc 3 input integrated) for $1300 USD I'm more interested.

Just wondered how much the parts would cost for the kit, if it was the same thing as the AMP-STi, and even if the guts and chassis kits were still available.

Re: DIY vs. pre-manufacturered chip amp? [message #10290 is a reply to message #10287] Mon, 07 February 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomek-Z is currently offline  Tomek-Z
Esquire
Oh, I've had four (five counting an updated powersupply) Gainclones and a 47 Labs Shigaraki. Of all these, the best is one using the Chipamps.com boards with blackgates etc.(unfortunately no more blackgates in the kit, no more being made) enclosed in the Specialized kit Gainclone case. This case has a copper heat sink, does that make a differnce? Has heavy gauge aluminum, a difference? Has Maple side panels, a difference? Anyways, it is my favorite. I did not make it though.

Re: DIY vs. pre-manufacturered chip amp? [message #10291 is a reply to message #10290] Tue, 08 February 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Heat sinks definitely make a difference. The more heat you can direct away from the substrate, the better. Keep 'em cool. Maple side panels aren't going to help the sound, but I'll bet it's a good looking box. Aesthetics are important to me, so an attractive cabinet is a definite plus where I'm concerned.

Re: DIY vs. pre-manufacturered chip amp? [message #10316 is a reply to message #10291] Wed, 27 April 2005 05:15 Go to previous message
Yury is currently offline  Yury
Baron

look at my concept. do you like it?
what do you think, Wayne?

Previous Topic: Sonic Impact amp-- any thoughts on it?
Next Topic: Service Manual
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:48:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout