Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » first time SS pre-amp build
first time SS pre-amp build [message #10261] Fri, 10 December 2004 03:23 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sourceing parts is quite an experience. First I recieved the power supply electrolytics and even though I measured with a caliper; lo and behold the Nichicons I ordered happen to have a little lip on the lead side, which just conflicts with spacing on the board. The caps are squeezed in but now the power transistor is too close to the lip of the caps and so must be set at an angle. The two Riken resistors are way too big for the board so had to moto-tool some edges. No place for a heat sink for the transistor so had to get creative and bend around the electrolytics. This is a learning process. The best advice I got so far is to look at parts sourceing as a creative and artfull job. Even so I keep my three pound hammer handy.
Anyway the power supply is done. I just have to don my asbestus suit and fire it up. I have lots of extra parts now also.

Re: first time SS pre-amp build [message #10262 is a reply to message #10261] Fri, 10 December 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I know exactly what you mean, John.

I've been involved in projects where I designed a circuit and built a prototype by point-to-point wiring. This was usually part of a whole system, one of several pieces of equipment. The entire project would go through an evaluation period and if it was successful, all the vendors had to quickly produce thousands of whatever it was they had designed. So I would have to come up with a few thousand silkscreened enclosures, circuit boards and all the components to populate them with fast.

If a single part wouldn't fit, it would amount to thousands of mis-ordered parts. I quickly realized this task was the most difficult of the project, way more difficult and time consuming than design work or building of the prototype. I would have never thought of procurement as being so daunting, but it is.

Don't anyone rat us out and admit to our wives that purchasing stuff takes real talent.

Re: first time SS pre-amp build [message #10263 is a reply to message #10262] Fri, 10 December 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
If purchasing stuff takes real talent my wife should get an oscar. I geuss it comes with the territory but it sure is time consuming. Since I am such a little fish the vendors don't take me seriously; it's a PITA. I would love to see a craftsmen forume for electronic build ups. I see a lot of dedicated forum's like Bottlehead but I mean in a more general sense.

What a great idea [message #10264 is a reply to message #10263] Fri, 10 December 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I think an "Electronic Crftsman" forum is a great idea. I would, however, like to see it taken one step further: maybe I speak for no one other than myself, but I think a group-build would be very educational and fun.

What I mean is: we would decide on a project and each build it to our own skill/price level. For a novice like me, the resources at hand would simply be invaluable. We could start with a very basic amp or preamp with technical, sourcing, troubleshooting, and listening discussions.

Granted there will only be a few people doing this in the beginning. But for people like me that learn better by doing than reading, I think it is an idea that could catch on......my $0.02....Colin

Re: first time SS pre-amp build [message #10265 is a reply to message #10261] Fri, 10 December 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitsware is currently offline  hitsware
Baron
Best to have 'samples' of the parts before laying out a board.....

Re: What a great idea [message #10266 is a reply to message #10264] Fri, 10 December 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There you go Colin; I am in the same boat, I could read and study this stuff all day but w/o actual hands on I might as well be reading Urdu. This little project I am on now is really exposing me too things that have made the theory gel in my mind. I would love to see a DAC project up and running. It seems fairly easy and utilises both Tube and SS examples. Like I said in my post the parts are really the hardest thing. Also it is the occasional question that needs answering at 10 pm that would be most served by a forume or group build type endeavor.
Bottlehead does this thing well but then you need Bottlehead stuff. Nothing wrong with that but it really holds your hand so much you are an assembler rather than a learner. There are cheap PC co. out there that will build your design for next to nothing and group parts buy is much easier than a loner. My 2c.

Re: What a great idea [message #10267 is a reply to message #10266] Fri, 10 December 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
So, where do we start? Personaly I would like to keep the cost of each project around $100, give or take some. I am isolated from others electronic buffs and need to maximize learning at minimal cost. It might be fun to pick projects that can be assembled when all is done (yeah, like this hobby ever ends) to have a very nice system. Scratch your head over it and I'll do the same. I really think this is going to be lots of fun.....Colin

Re: first time SS pre-amp build [message #10268 is a reply to message #10265] Fri, 10 December 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The sample thing. I have been able to weasel some samples out of these places but it is hard when you don't know what you are asking for half the time.

Re: What a great idea [message #10269 is a reply to message #10267] Fri, 10 December 2004 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I can offer this first. I have found that you must build many projects as you can. Therefor to keep cost to a minimun the end product will not dazzle the eye. Some of my projects look like crap;.. but they work and were cheap to build and above all sound good. If you get caught up in the notion you are building art, you will end up not building anything. I will eventually find something worth keeping. Then the spitshine comes out, until then my projects will look like trainwrecks. So this pre-amp I am building can be assembled for about 90$. It is not done yet so I can't comment on the sound, but it is a proven circuit with good parts and I believe good execution. This will accompany the Gainclone I happen to like.
Run some ideas by me, things you need; we can run it up the flagpole and see if it waves.

Re: What a great idea [message #10270 is a reply to message #10269] Sat, 11 December 2004 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That sounds like a lot of fun!

I've seen some posts in the Craftsmen about soldering and what-not, so it's definitely not just a woodworking forum. There is a lot of attention to wordworking there, but it's certainly not the single purpose. Electrical and metalworking hints and tid-bits are great subjects for that place too. Anything that helps a DIY builder with the actual nuts ad bolts fabrication and assembly of his gear are good to go there.

Then again, I like seeing tube circuit write-ups in the Tubes forums and chip and solid state circuits discussed in the Solid State forums. I guess there's a little bit of overlap. I know when I get my Stoetkit, I plan to take some photos of the assembly, and I'll probably post in the Tubes forum and/or in the FSAudio forum. Maybe make a post in one and a link in the other. One of these days when I ever get around to building my Seduction kit, I'll probably put a similar write up in the Turntable forum. I've got a couple coming in the next month or so for speakers too, but those will naturally need to go in the π Speakers forum.

I just think it's kind of fun to do these little pictorial write-ups, when I have time. I sure love seeing everyone else's write ups too, and I really appreciate you guys taking the time to do them!

Previous Topic: Panasonic TR receivers
Next Topic: Parts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:40:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout