Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Finished Brian GT's chip amp
Sweet!!! [message #10189 is a reply to message #10187] Thu, 02 September 2004 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice rig....

Re: Sweet!!! [message #10190 is a reply to message #10189] Thu, 02 September 2004 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks.

Re: Dusty Springfield [message #10191 is a reply to message #10185] Sat, 04 September 2004 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have been trying to find a version of "Just a Little Lovin'" that a radio program used as a theme years ago.

It was a very lyrical, straight-ahead performance by a female vocalist.

I think there's a version on that "Dusty In Memphis" album? If so, can you describe it at all?

TIA

Re: Dusty Springfield [message #10192 is a reply to message #10191] Tue, 07 September 2004 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes thats her. The song is in 3/4 time with a string section and female chorus. It starts with just her and a violin and stand up bass quietly, then she builds slowly into the full string section and chorus. The bass walks up the scale until the chorus then the strings kick in and there is a call and response between her and the singers. Two chorus then a horn break, ultimately doing a slow fade. Nice cut. This whole album is one of the nicest collections of pop-rock covers and beautiful brass from the Memphis Horns. Seems there is nobody doing this kind of stuff now.
Just a Little Lovin'
Early in the mornin'
Beats a cup of coffee
For starting out the day.

Re: Dusty Springfield [message #10193 is a reply to message #10192] Tue, 07 September 2004 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks for the vivid description. It's definitely not the one I'm so familiar with, but I may buy a copy anyway.

I've purchased a few CDs looking for the "perfect" version of that song, but I've failed utterly so far.

Absolutely the worst, by a very wide margin, was Estelle Reiner - when I put it on I was sure that it was a send-up of some kind. I have flatulent dogs that can carry a tune better than she can.

Re: Dusty Springfield [message #10194 is a reply to message #10193] Wed, 08 September 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There are that many versions? This is the only one I have heard, who else does it? And who is Estelle Riener, is she pop/jazz/rock?
Thanks; J.R.

Re: Estelle Riener [message #10195 is a reply to message #10194] Fri, 10 September 2004 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
She's apparently the wife of someone who can get records produced, kind of a menopausal Pia Zadora (though come to think of it Pia Zadora is probably menopausal by now).

But Pia can sing circles around this old croaker.

Yup, there are many versions. I have three or four, but none worth mentioning.

Re: Estelle Riener [message #10196 is a reply to message #10195] Sat, 11 September 2004 13:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Menopausal Pia Zadora, let me see you say THAT five times fast! I must admitt I am somewhat intrigued by this mystery, keep me posted if you can. Thanks; J.R.( The Dusty album has many fine cuts, have you heard all of it, I especially like the version of Just One Smile, the old Al Kooper song.)

Previous Topic: Great technical link to amp design
Next Topic: audionet sam v2 & BAT Vk-300x
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:29:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout