Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Hi and a Few Questions (Hi and a few questions)
Hi and a Few Questions [message #75659] Thu, 28 February 2013 15:39 Go to next message
Michaelzh is currently offline  Michaelzh
Chancellor
Hi Wayne!

It has been about 10 years since I last posted message on your board. Time does fly behind us. I feel excited to be here again.

I am kind of reentering into audio lately. I am thinking of putting together something in the fashion of your 7 PI speakers.

I have a pair of corner horns with JBL 2245 woofers (http://audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/8818.html) and a pair of JBL 2123J 10" midrange drivers. I would like to use the 2123J in the PI midrange horn and JBL 2245 corner horn as in place of the 7 PI corner horn since I already have them. I would purchase H290Cs and B&C DE250s. I would build the midrange horn because I want to incorporate it in such a way that it "harmonizes" with the corner horn.

Here are my questions:

1) Are 2245 and 2123J usable in the current version of 7 PI speakers?

2) If the answer is yes to 1), will the crossover need to be modified? And

3) Would the relative placement positions between the tweeter horn and the mid horn stay the same as in 7 PI speaker?

Thanks!
Re: Hi and a Few Questions [message #75660 is a reply to message #75659] Thu, 28 February 2013 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I remember you Michael. Seems like you were considering various compression ratios for constant directivity cornerhorn bass bins at one time. Did you ever build any with higher compression back then? Is that what was in the photos on you link?

Answers by numbers:

1. The 2245 is an absolutely wonderful woofer. You can definitely put it in a constant directivity cornerhorn and use it just like you would the 2226. Scale it up though, to ~ 8ft3 tuned to 30Hz. It'll go lower, of course. Smile

I can see if I still have plans for the seven π-18 bass bin, if you want. That one used the JBL 2245. Way back when that driver was still available, I used to make a version like that.

2. The 2123 is also an excellent driver, although I didn't test it with the π midhorn. I did use the JBL 2012 though. My suggestion would be to use my crossover as a starting point, and to modify components as needed. You'll notice the seven π schematics show different components for each of the available midrange drivers, so try each of those first. You'll also have to reduce the padding, since you have a 16Ω driver. You might be able to remove padding altogether with a 16Ω driver, but I don't think it will need that much reduction.

3. The midhorn and tweeter should be positioned with their mouths flush, which puts their acoustic centers in the right position relative to each other. Put the tweeter in a little decorative box with about 2" baffle on each side and above the mouth of the tweeter.
Also, check out the Pi Speakers FAQ. It has some good finishing information that you might find helpful in the "Miscellaneous" section.

Welcome back!

Re: Hi and a Few Questions [message #75677 is a reply to message #75660] Fri, 01 March 2013 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for answering my questions.

I remembering talking about compression ratio. The corner horn is a cube one based on your idea of conical corner horn. I have been using these corner horns for the past ten years. The cubic shape is the reason I have to build the midrange horn on my own. I will keep the inner dimensions but will have to make it such that the midrange horn aesthetically "compatible" with the square corner horn.

Wayne, do you sell DE 250 compression drivers separate from your kits? I will need to get the crossovers, the tweeter horns, and the compression drivers.
Re: Hi and a Few Questions [message #75678 is a reply to message #75659] Fri, 01 March 2013 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne, could you please also send me the 7 PI speaker plan? I'd like to study the plan before I receive parts and start building.
Re: Hi and a Few Questions [message #75679 is a reply to message #75678] Fri, 01 March 2013 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

Re: Hi and a Few Questions [message #75694 is a reply to message #75678] Sun, 03 March 2013 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I got the pdf file. Thank you!

Re: Hi and a Few Questions [message #75702 is a reply to message #75694] Mon, 04 March 2013 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

After looking at the 7 PI plan, the bass bin for JBL 2245 may be of better WAF than my current cubic corner horn. Would you please send the bass bin plan if you can find it?

Thanks!
Re: Hi and a Few Questions [message #75703 is a reply to message #75702] Mon, 04 March 2013 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

Re: Hi and a Few Questions [message #75709 is a reply to message #75703] Tue, 05 March 2013 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thank you!
Re: Hi and a Few Questions [message #76336 is a reply to message #75659] Wed, 17 April 2013 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Wayne,

You said "You'll also have to reduce the padding, since you have a 16Ω driver. You might be able to remove padding altogether with a 16Ω driver, but I don't think it will need that much reduction."

Would you please explain "reduce the padding"? I assume this has to do with the resistors R4s and R5s in the crossover schematics. I used an online L pad calculator. It suggested to reduce the number of resistors, given their values in the schematics, by half. I would like to be sure this is what you meant by reducing the padding.

Thanks
Previous Topic: How to improve?
Next Topic: 3 PI build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:40:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers