Home » Audio » Speaker » Small Speakers - Big Sound?
Small Speakers - Big Sound? [message #75590] Thu, 21 February 2013 14:41 Go to next message
Kenwoody is currently offline  Kenwoody
Viscount
I'm listening to my tunes through a hand me down stereo that my dad had for years. The speakers sit on floor stands and are half as tall as I am. As much as I hate it though, they're wearing out and soon I'll have to buy new ones. Are the little bitty speakers they're selling nowadays just as good in terms of sound quality? If not, which ones do sound good?
Re: Small Speakers - Big Sound? [message #75591 is a reply to message #75590] Thu, 21 February 2013 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Speakers have improved substantially since your dad bought his some years ago. If you have thousands to spend there are too many options to discuss here. If you're on a tight budget, I recommend two very affordable speakers, a standmount that sells for $127/pr and a floorstander that sells for $127/ea.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=250-656

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=250-658
Re: Small Speakers - Big Sound? [message #75618 is a reply to message #75591] Fri, 22 February 2013 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Fred - Thanks a bunch for the recommendations. I can handle $127 each or better yet, $127 for a pair, especially with my income tax refund on its way as we speak! Wink
Re: Small Speakers - Big Sound? [message #75658 is a reply to message #75590] Thu, 28 February 2013 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I personally still prefer larger speakers that move some air for a good bass response. I do have a couple small Sonys for my rear surrounds, but that's only because we already had them and our budget is super tight right now.
Re: Small Speakers - Big Sound? [message #75681 is a reply to message #75658] Fri, 01 March 2013 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
audioaudio90 wrote on Thu, 28 February 2013 06:37
I personally still prefer larger speakers that move some air for a good bass response. I do have a couple small Sonys for my rear surrounds, but that's only because we already had them and our budget is super tight right now.

So, do you not think that smaller speakers can provide the same bass response as larger speakers? What about a surround sound setup with a dedicated subwoofer?
Re: Small Speakers - Big Sound? [message #75974 is a reply to message #75618] Sat, 23 March 2013 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Pioneer floorstanders are on sale for $77/ea in the latest Fry's weekly flyer. The sale price is good through Thursday, March 28th. I picked up a pair, and they sound very good. Highly recommended!

http://www.frys.com/ads/audio-video-television-cameras-portable-car-electronics#AdNavi
Re: Small Speakers - Big Sound? [message #76058 is a reply to message #75974] Thu, 28 March 2013 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
AudioFred wrote on Sat, 23 March 2013 16:49
The Pioneer floorstanders are on sale for $77/ea in the latest Fry's weekly flyer. The sale price is good through Thursday, March 28th. I picked up a pair, and they sound very good. Highly recommended!

http://www.frys.com/ads/audio-video-television-cameras-portable-car-electronics#AdNavi

I wish I had come across this before today! We have been looking for something more powerful than what we currently have. $308 for 4 floor standing Pioneer speakers sounds pretty sweet!
Re: Small Speakers - Big Sound? [message #76094 is a reply to message #75590] Sat, 30 March 2013 15:33 Go to previous message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
Kenwoody - I bought one of those "home theater in a box" setups several months back with 5 of the tiny speakers you're talking about. I have to admit, for what they are and what the whole kit cost, they sound pretty good. However, they don't have near the volume that I would have liked, so I'm back to shopping for floor standing speakers. I'd say those small speakers would do you fine in a small room, like a bedroom, but in a living room, I would still go with floor standers.
Previous Topic: Dayton Audio/Eminence Full Range Single Driver
Next Topic: Can this enclosure/speaker be reverse engineered?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:50:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio