Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » One Pi Speaker
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75630 is a reply to message #75625] Sat, 23 February 2013 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrkazador is currently offline  mrkazador
Chancellor
Thanks for all the help guys. Just to make sure I get my order correct, are these the right crossover components?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=004-16
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=027-568
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=255-230

Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75631 is a reply to message #75630] Sun, 24 February 2013 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, those are the right parts.

Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75632 is a reply to message #75519] Mon, 25 February 2013 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Ordered! I don't know when they'll be completed because I'm also building my LCR speakers. Could be a month from now but I'll post some pictures and my thoughts on the surrounds. Thanks again.
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75640 is a reply to message #75619] Tue, 26 February 2013 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zheka is currently offline  zheka
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 22 February 2013 20:54

2. Put the speakers behind the listeners on a stand, shelf or mounted to the wall. But set them only a couple feet above the listeners, each facing the ipsilateral wall such that the angle of reflection passes through the listening area.

I've been running my surrounds this way for the last few day and am very pleased with the results. I know you do not recommend CD speakers for this kind of set up but that's what I have (CHT SHO-10) and to my ears they work well in my narrow room. It is easy to forget that the speakers are behind, in fact because of the controlled directivity, reflected sound may be louder than the direct one, and the effect is as if the speakers are on the sides but further away. Now even the seats close to the walls get decent surround experience which is something that was absolutely impossible before when the speakers were wall mounted.

Thank you very much.
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75643 is a reply to message #75640] Tue, 26 February 2013 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think the sidewall-reflection setup probably trumps the directional nature of the surrounds. Once you setup that way, it would tends to diffuse the sound field anyway.

Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75644 is a reply to message #75643] Tue, 26 February 2013 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 26 February 2013 13:02

I think the sidewall-reflection setup probably trumps the directional nature of the surrounds. Once you setup that way, it would tends to diffuse the sound field anyway.

when/if I have a pair of capable speakers with dome tweeters I will definitely try if I like them better in this set up.

how far from the side walls do you have your surrounds?
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75645 is a reply to message #75644] Tue, 26 February 2013 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My surrounds are about six feet from the side walls, and about the same distance behind the listening area. They're about three feet above seated listeners, ear level if standing up. What I'm calling the listening area is about ten feet wide and the speakers are a couple feet outside that space, about twelve feet apart.

I reflect the surrounds off the side walls so the sound comes from the side more loudly than from behind. They definitely provide envelopment with this setup, because there is a considerable amount of energy coming from four places, behind-left, behind-right, beside-left and beside-right. It sort of blends into two very large "dispersed sources", left-beside/behind and right-beside/behind. I find it to give a very natural illusion of surround-sound ambience.

Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75648 is a reply to message #75645] Tue, 26 February 2013 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 26 February 2013 15:59

My surrounds are about six feet from the side walls, and about the same distance behind the listening area. They're about three feet above seated listeners, ear level if standing up. What I'm calling the listening area is about ten feet wide and the speakers are a couple feet outside that space, about twelve feet apart.

I reflect the surrounds off the side walls so the sound comes from the side more loudly than from behind. They definitely provide envelopment with this setup, because there is a considerable amount of energy coming from four places, behind-left, behind-right, beside-left and beside-right. It sort of blends into two very large "dispersed sources", left-beside/behind and right-beside/behind. I find it to give a very natural illusion of surround-sound ambience.

my room is only 12 feet wide. with 4 seats i have about 2 feet to the walls on each side. I am still trying different positions but it seems that 4 feet from the wall is as far as they can be placed and still have strong enough reflection to act as "side" surrounds.
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75720 is a reply to message #75519] Tue, 05 March 2013 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I would like to flush mount the tweeter and woofer. The Alpha8 would need to be recessed about 3/8 and the tweeter about 1/4". Is this going to cause any problems? I'm going to add a mounting ring behind the baffle for the woofer mounting screws.
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75721 is a reply to message #75720] Tue, 05 March 2013 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like flush mounting mine too. No problems at all. We're talking about 1/8" difference in offset, much less than a quadrature alignment is sensitive to in this crossover band. So again, no problems, none at all. Looks good, sounds great.

Previous Topic: 2225H midwoofers
Next Topic: 2Pi Tower Plan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:27:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout