Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » One Pi Speaker
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75612 is a reply to message #75519] Fri, 22 February 2013 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrkazador is currently offline  mrkazador
Chancellor
This is the space that is giving me problems. The speaker in the photo measures 5.5 x 8.5".

index.php?t=getfile&id=1051&private=0

This is why I want to slant the enclosure, I can't put the right surround at ear level. I was thinking of something like 15-20 degrees slanted.
Towers are not an option for me, kids love touching stuff Evil or Very Mad
  • Attachment: 20127461.jpg
    (Size: 161.54KB, Downloaded 3810 times)
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75613 is a reply to message #75612] Fri, 22 February 2013 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCDC is currently offline  JCDC
Baron
Hey Dude,

1 Pi's can be sized very small if you need to hide them (less bass but that's ok for surround). The Alpha 8 can work in cabs down to .5 cuft sealed so basically you make the front baffle just big enough to hold the drivers (with the proper driver spacing) and the cab just deep enough to get the back of the magnet off the rear of the cab!

Then toe them in (ie keep front baffle spacing). Or they could be on a swivel so they're against the wall for high WAF and then rotate out a few degrees for optimum movie sound!

If you want to go higher WAF or stealth you can paint the cab the same colour as the wall and use beige speaker cloth and it'll disappear into the wall.

Or if you really wanna get funky you could wall mount the 1 Pi! I'm assuming drywall and studs (double check that the alpha8's magnet will fit) ... just find a space between the studs that's closest to where you want the speaker and then cut a hole for the woof and tweet in the drywall using the 1Pi driver spacing, stuff the holes with some insulation if not there already. Caulk the drivers to the drywall (w screw to hold), drill a hole for speaker wires and then run them around the trim of the window and then down. Make a beige speaker grill for them and ... ahhhh! Beautiful sound but ... no speakers!

Cheers,
Jeff

PS An ultrathin 1Pi might fit up in the corner of the window behind the curtains! (Just drivers on a baffle so open-baffle and like 4" deep) I had this in my old place and my wife didn't even notice for a week! Now that's high WAF!
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75614 is a reply to message #75519] Fri, 22 February 2013 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Here is a mockup of what I was planning. Angle on the baffle is 15 degrees and internal volume is about .65 cu ft.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1050&private=0

Another thing I should mention is that I won't be doing any critical listening.
  • Attachment: aaavs.jpg
    (Size: 45.97KB, Downloaded 3787 times)
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75615 is a reply to message #75614] Fri, 22 February 2013 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
Couldn't you just build the box to its exact dimensions and add an angled "extra" back? Or just build the extra back into the enclosure as you go so it looks more 1 piece. Or how about building stands?
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75619 is a reply to message #75615] Fri, 22 February 2013 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think the angled/wedge idea would work pretty well, but I wonder how natural it would sound having the speakers up that high.

Let me offer a suggestion. Try both of these setups for a couple days, watch a few movies on each and see which you like best.

1. Put the speakers where you have shown in your photo, above the window, near the ceiling, facing downward towards the listening area.

2. Put the speakers behind the listeners on a stand, shelf or mounted to the wall. But set them only a couple feet above the listeners, each facing the ipsilateral wall such that the angle of reflection passes through the listening area.

I realize the curtains will be in the reflection path on my suggestion #2. Try it anyway, with the curtains open and closed and see what you think.

Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75620 is a reply to message #75619] Fri, 22 February 2013 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCDC is currently offline  JCDC
Baron
I'm Old School and still follow the 5.1 spec for surround channels.

A few feet behind the listener.
3-6? ft above
Across the room (no toe-in, not pointing towards listeners)

I know they are full audio channels and considered more directional now but their use is almost always surround rather than discrete effects. So that's how I set them up.

It just so happens, your setup is perfect for this!

Being too close to the ceiling isn't ideal but it's better than being too low and close to the listeners.

Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75621 is a reply to message #75619] Sat, 23 February 2013 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 22 February 2013 20:54

1. Put the speakers where you have shown in your photo, above the window, near the ceiling, facing downward towards the listening area.

2. Put the speakers behind the listeners on a stand, shelf or mounted to the wall. But set them only a couple feet above the listeners, each facing the ipsilateral wall such that the angle of reflection passes through the listening area.

I realize the curtains will be in the reflection path on my suggestion #2. Try it anyway, with the curtains open and closed and see what you think.

1. The mounting bracket I currently have installed won't allow me to point them downwards.

2. There is a small dining table right behind the main listening position. If that position were to work, I wouldn't be able to mount it there.

I'm going to go ahead and build the slanted enclosure, its my best option I think. The way my surround speaker is setup now sounds ok to me. A little high up but nothing I'm going to crazy over.
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75622 is a reply to message #75519] Sat, 23 February 2013 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
I've already built a variant of your slanted surrounds for my son & daughter in law's system. ( the L & R are 1PI's, and the center is a 3/4 cu ft 1PI to fit a space constraint. ). My idea was similar to yours, but the boxes were slightly larger at 3/4 cu ft. I built them with the tweeters below the woofers to take advantage of the ceiling, and provide the dome tweeters with as much free space as possible. BTW, I did build vented cabinets. They simply sound better with lower distortion.

The Alpha 8" is an extremely flexible driver. I call it an "elastic" driver, because it can be used in a lot of different boxes, and sound good in all of them. ( I think Wayne's 1PI is a great speaker design. ) Please tell us about your final results.

Steve
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75624 is a reply to message #75519] Sat, 23 February 2013 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I was thinking about inverting the speaker, tweeter on the bottom and woofer on top. Any input on this Wayne?
Re: One Pi Speaker [message #75625 is a reply to message #75624] Sat, 23 February 2013 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's fine, in fact, I would suggest it if the speakers are mounted higher than the listeners. I've installed systems in clubs that way.

Just make sure the baffle normal is inline with the general listening area. We don't want the speaker rotated vertically with respect to the audience. It can be angled by way of mount or box shape, but do keep the baffle normal inline with the listeners.

Previous Topic: 2225H midwoofers
Next Topic: 2Pi Tower Plan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:50:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout