Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi midhorn: how thick to be effective?
Pi midhorn: how thick to be effective? [message #75472] Fri, 08 February 2013 13:16 Go to next message
JCDC is currently offline  JCDC
Baron
Playing with some higher WAF ideas for the midhorn Twisted Evil

The Eight Pi plans say 5/8 and 3/4

How about 1/2?
3/8?
1/4?

Ply or MDF?

... Plexiglass ...? Shocked

Re: Pi midhorn: how thick to be effective? [message #75474 is a reply to message #75472] Fri, 08 February 2013 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know, you can really reduce panel thickness with the right bracing. Bracing is usually much more effective because the brace is in compression or tension, whereas the panel being braced is in shear. It's a lot easier to bend a panel than it is to compress or stretch it, so making it stronger by virtue of thickness isn't as good as using braces. Of course, we usually do both.

You can also use constained layer damping, which allows really thin materials to act as barriers. So a thin CSD panel with braces could be used. Just two thin sheets of some rigid material with viscous material in between. The viscous material provides resistance to shear deflection, and so this plus the bracing makes a very solid construct.

Re: Pi midhorn: how thick to be effective? [message #75475 is a reply to message #75472] Fri, 08 February 2013 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCDC is currently offline  JCDC
Baron
I'm talking just about the naked mid horn not the entire bass cabinet or cover for the midhorn.

Ok, so if I brace (1 in the middle of each section) can I get away with 1/4 mdf or paneling?

Will the horn still work (constrain) down to it's proper 200Hz or will the lower frequencies (400-200) simply pass through the horn as if it wasn't there?

How about 0.1" plexiglass? That's my dream! Visually, just the 1ft by 1ft box for the alpha/delta 10 with the 4.5x4.5 square in the front ... and then a plexiglass mid horn with just the minimal bracing to make it function as a horn and not ruin the transparent look!

All you'd see out of the corner of your eye is the 1x1 box and the midhorn would just visually melt into the wall! +6 WAF!

(Why do I get the feeling you're going to tell me this won't work?!?)

Cheers,
Jeff

Re: Pi midhorn: how thick to be effective? [message #75480 is a reply to message #75475] Sat, 09 February 2013 10:30 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's really hard to say how thin you can go. And like I said, it also depends on the material you choose.

Previous Topic: 4Pi plans
Next Topic: 4Pi's Biamped?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:28:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout