Home » Audio » Home Theater » Digital Antenna
Digital Antenna [message #75449] Wed, 06 February 2013 14:12 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
We stopped our cable service and use a digital antenna for the broadcast channels (and Hulu for everything else). It's been pretty nice but the antenna is definitely more sensitive to weather than cable was.

Do you use a digital antenna?
Re: Digital Antenna [message #75452 is a reply to message #75449] Wed, 06 February 2013 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I do the same thing, and find an RF amplifier works wonders. You can find amplified antennas from various manufacturers.

Re: Digital Antenna [message #75538 is a reply to message #75449] Sat, 16 February 2013 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Can you recommend a particular RF amplifier? I looked at an RCA antenna amplifier on Amazon that has mixed reviews. Also, what is the difference between an outdoor and indoor amplifier?
Re: Digital Antenna [message #75539 is a reply to message #75449] Sat, 16 February 2013 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The RF amplifiers designed for television all provide about 10x to 100x gain (10dB - 20dB), which will improve a weak signal but it cannot help one that is too degraded. Indoor antennas are basically the same thing as "rabbit ears" from days gone by but some come in a more attractive "plate" package.

None of the indoor antennas is anywhere close to the performance of a good outdoor antenna. Those are the same as the beam antennas (also from yesteryear). The same antennas you used to see on people's house in the 1970s will work just fine today. You can also put an outdoor antenna in your attic. The main thing is the beam antennas must be pointed at the transmitting antenna.

Re: Digital Antenna [message #75571 is a reply to message #75539] Wed, 20 February 2013 05:41 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thank you. Clearly I was taken in by the indoor antennas, and will get an outdoor antenna instead, even though it'll corrode relatively quickly due to the salt air (we don't have an attic). Maybe I'll be able to get by without the amplifier.
Previous Topic: Help - Sound is out of balance!
Next Topic: Hiding Wires
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 00:07:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout