Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Anyone Gone From A Planar Type Speaker To 4Pi's (Having trouble making the move without being able to hear them)
Anyone Gone From A Planar Type Speaker To 4Pi's [message #75384] Tue, 29 January 2013 21:55 Go to next message
ice963 is currently offline  ice963
Chancellor
I've always had Magnaplanars or Electrostatic speakers and I'm looking to outfit another room with a system. I presently have Magnaplanar MG 1.7's powered by a 75 Watt KT88 tube amp. I love the sound but would like to build an OTL Amp from Transcendent Sound and would need a really good effecient speaker to go with them. That's where the 4Pi's would come in. So I'm in a dilemma not being able to audition a pair. Has anyone gone to an efficient box speaker from a planar type and been happy? I did audition a pair of Klipsch RF-7 II's really good but far from my Maggies. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Anyone Gone From A Planar Type Speaker To 4Pi's [message #75386 is a reply to message #75384] Wed, 30 January 2013 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The time interval from electro-static Acoustat 1+1s to 4Pis was about 20 years but there is a bellwhether that I can't forget. The first cut on side two of Joni Mitchell's "Blue" features 12 string guitar. The Acoustats present the ringing and decay of the harmonics at the end of phrases far better than the 4Pis, or any other dynamic speaker I've heard. Sounds almost like a Sitar.

OTOH, the 4Pis have greater texture in the bass, image better and, as for dynamics, are unequaled.
Re: Anyone Gone From A Planar Type Speaker To 4Pi's [message #75394 is a reply to message #75384] Wed, 30 January 2013 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
The Magnepan MG-1.5, MG-1.6, MMG-W, and MGMC-3 have graced my system for a significant period in the past. The dipole radiation pattern of the Magnepans ameliorates room interactions somewhat similarly to the constant directivity designs offered by Pi Speakers and they generate a spacious soundstage with life-like dimensions. The downsides of planar magnetic speakers include low sensitivity, limited output capability and somewhat "loose" (or attenuated in the case of the MMG-W and MCMC-3) bass. The 3Pi easily outperforms any of Magnepans that I've used and, if the room has appropriate corners, the 6Pi is better still. Search for my 6Pi and 3Pi reviews found here for more specifics regarding the construction and performance of these exceptional loudspeakers.
Re: Anyone Gone From A Planar Type Speaker To 4Pi's [message #75402 is a reply to message #75384] Thu, 31 January 2013 18:54 Go to previous message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Well... I've owned Maggie MMG and had some old Quad 57 ESL's for awhile. I was helping a buddy repair one. I have one and three PI's now. The ones aren't stock, different tweeters. I have the Transcendent SE OTL at a mighty watt and a half per channel.
I thought the Maggies were good until I lived with them awhile. I think Maggies lack even drive, and I'm sensitive to that.
The Quads were nice, but lack dynamic range.
The one PI's and Transcendent really sound good together. My wife dropped a hardcover book on one of the three PI woofers. Crunch! I never got to try them with the TS amp.
To make a long story shorter. Transcendent amps are excellent. PI speakers are wonderfully dynamic you can't go wrong. Unless you let my wife near them.

Steve. Cool
Previous Topic: Why do you not use summed bass for flanking subs?
Next Topic: Alternate idea for 7Pi midhorn enclosure?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:27:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio