Home » Audio » Speaker » Loose Wire in Car Speaker?
Loose Wire in Car Speaker? [message #75343] Thu, 24 January 2013 11:33 Go to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm pretty sure I've got a loose wire in one of my car speakers. It behaves most of the time but sometimes drops out or fuzzes slightly. Any information or tips on fixing this issue would be appreciated.
Re: Loose Wire in Car Speaker? [message #75344 is a reply to message #75343] Thu, 24 January 2013 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
I'm pretty sure I'm in the same boat as you, only it's one of the wires going to the CD player rather than a speaker.

Is it a speaker in a door? If so, you'll probably have to remove the interior door panel for access to the speaker. Then you should be able to just pull the speaker right out and fix the wiring.
Re: Loose Wire in Car Speaker? [message #75345 is a reply to message #75344] Thu, 24 January 2013 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It might be a loose wire - That would sure make the repair easier and less expensive. So it's worth looking at. But if the wires are snug, then you probably have blown the speaker. The most common failure mode of a loudspeaker is thermal, where the voice coil gets hot enough to weaken the adhesive that holds it in the former. So it unwinds and buzzes, eventually rubbing through. You can't see this damage on casual inspection, as it is inside the motor structure. Another common failure mode is mechanical, which is usually obvious on casual inspection as the cone or suspension is ripped.

Re: Loose Wire in Car Speaker? [message #75399 is a reply to message #75343] Thu, 31 January 2013 14:05 Go to previous message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, the speaker is in the door. I'm really hoping it's wiring and not blown out! I would've thought it'd sound bad all the time if it were that.

Good luck with your CD player, iLoveiPod.
Previous Topic: fostex fe166es-r
Next Topic: Realistic Mach One Like Build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:46:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout