Home » xyzzy » Tower » Women cleared for combat
Women cleared for combat [message #75334] Wed, 23 January 2013 18:51 Go to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
The Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta announced today that women serving in the US military are now cleared for combat roles. Do you think that this is a bad idea, or do you think it should have been done a long time ago? Here is an article about it.
Re: Women cleared for combat [message #75355 is a reply to message #75334] Fri, 25 January 2013 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'd like to see more equality between men and women in the working world, however I can't help but wonder if a woman's physical limitations would hinder her in a combat position. Even a woman that works out daily and focuses on strength training has limitations, simply due to the biological differences between the genders.
Re: Women cleared for combat [message #75357 is a reply to message #75334] Fri, 25 January 2013 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
I am all for equality, but I don't really think that women belong in combat. I guess maybe that is sexist, but I don't think that it is a good idea.
Re: Women cleared for combat [message #75365 is a reply to message #75357] Sun, 27 January 2013 15:56 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
No, not sexist at all, it's just how things are. I know my wife and many of our female friends agree as well, as they too can see the bottomless can 'o' worms that's being opened.

The bottom line is that men are designed to do certain things, and women are designed to do certain things. Not only are there the woman's strength and endurance limitations, but she also thinks differently. Because of hormonal differences, man's thinking tends to be shaped by logic and reason, while woman's thinking tends to be shaped by emotion. Add a high level of stress to this (such as combat), and everything is further exacerbated.

Beyond that, there are certain feelings toward each other that are always gonna be present. For example, a man will naturally seek to protect a woman who is in danger, even if it means putting himself at great risk, which in combat will likely get both of them killed. Training can overcome some of that, but you still have a female who is mentally hard-wired by design to be nurturing and caring, not a warrior. And, a man who will always be protective of her. Of course, you also have the obvious problem of men and women serving so closely together, which is physical attraction. I can see ALL KINDS of problems brewing here....

Marine Corps Gen. Peter Pace was quoted as saying, "If you want to render a combat unit ineffective, the fastest way to do it is to put women in it." One of my best friends, an Army staff sargeant with 10 years in, fully agrees and has shared many of his own personal stories as to why.

Finally, the populace that's all gung-ho right now about women serving in combat will change their tune when a large percentage of those KIA are female. Public opinion will sour on it in a hurry when women start dying in combat in large numbers.

It's just a bad idea from the get-go. And, if it ain't broke in the first place anyway, then don't fix it.

Thermionic
Previous Topic: Ear Ringing & Infections?
Next Topic: Happy Birthday, Bach
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:07:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout