Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » chip amps
chip amps [message #10140] Thu, 05 February 2004 09:28 Go to next message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Guys, try the TDA 1514AU (Mine were Signetics). Stupid low distortion. Will run on +- 16-27 volts DC. +-24 is the best. 30-40 watts depending on supply voltage. Easy to build. Cheap, even using the "best" components. I used ultra high speed, soft recovery diodes in the power supply. A good thing. Speaker Builder published an article (by me!)on the ones I was building at the time. This was way back in 1991. I just sent my "best one" off to Pit Hinder. I was shocked when I looked at the date on the reprint of the article.....Hard to believe it has been that long....time flys.
Ed
OH yea, WHEN you short one they blow cool little holes in the case and LOTs of smoke comes out. They must have really packed the smoke in those things.

Re: chip amps [message #10141 is a reply to message #10140] Thu, 05 February 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
>> They must have really packed the smoke in those things.

That's an advantage the folks that still smoke have over the non-smokers. They can just blow the smoke back in when something bad happens and the smoke comes out.

Application? [message #10142 is a reply to message #10140] Mon, 09 February 2004 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ed,

Would you recommend following the recommended application in the spec sheet, or are there better "proven" configurations?

Gar.

Re: Application? [message #10143 is a reply to message #10142] Mon, 16 February 2004 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Gar,
The recommended app. works just fine. I ended up omitting the input cap and the bootstrap components. They sounded better to me that way. I ran them on +-24 volts in the end but they also sounded fine on +-16. Hope this helps.
Ed

Tried a Powerwave yet? [message #10149 is a reply to message #10140] Sat, 13 March 2004 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrgrits is currently offline  mrgrits
Esquire
It seems to be impressing the hell out of me and others. It offers such tube warmth and palpability for such a low cost. The only problem is the low-level hum and artifacts which could be a big problem for high efficiency speakers. I use a pair of Klipsch Reference speakers and can hear the audible artifacts at 10 feet. (Normally, I use a Select.) Don't hear it long, though, as I pour program through it pretty quickly.

Re: Tried a Powerwave yet? [message #10154 is a reply to message #10149] Thu, 25 March 2004 20:34 Go to previous message
Baron
mrgrits,
Ordered a Powerwave yesterday. Have you tried a different power supply? The other fellow that suggested I give it a listen did not mention anything about hum. He is testing it and my "favorite" speakers. He likes the combo so I had to get one! We shall see, and I will report.
Ed

Previous Topic: please help me
Next Topic: Howdy!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:37:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers