Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Straighten me out on gainclones
Straighten me out on gainclones [message #10134] Sat, 31 January 2004 00:03 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Initially I thought that the gainclone was a device that
powered a speaker locally. So what could be done is have
the low output from say a soundcard jacked up to power a set
of decent nearfield speakers for computer use.

Since then I have seen some real good artcles on gainclones
nad construction. But these seem to be stand alone audio
applications.

So if the single chip amps are cheap enough, is making
powered speakers... such as those made for studio use ...
a viable hobby application? Or can those little speaks
for computers be canabalized to accomplish something similar?

Right now I have a Yamaha RP U100 which is designed for
USB and computer use. But the gaincard application and it's
abilities to produce great sound still interest me.

So how do I get straight on this?

Re: Straighten me out on gainclones [message #10135 is a reply to message #10134] Sun, 01 February 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Gonna have to build one! Nice thing is that they're the easiest things in the world to build. Almost like snap-fit models cars, you're done before the soldering iron is hot. Well, almost.

Re: Straighten me out on gainclones [message #10136 is a reply to message #10135] Sun, 01 February 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Well I have the electronic skills of a dolphin.

But the idea of powered speaks intrigues me. I see
gainclones powering things like Discmans and so on.
But how much power could be delivered via a soundcard
connection direct from the computer? I don't think
I know how to phrase a proper google search for this.

However, Electronic Musician mag has reviews of powered speaks
from time to time. PCs use powered speaks of some sort
so I'm wondering if the dots can be connected.

Re: Straighten me out on gainclones [message #10137 is a reply to message #10136] Sun, 01 February 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Soundcard outputs vary from model to model. But there are tons of single-chip amps used in everything from car stereos to small home receivers. Check out the LM1875 and also the links in the post called "A few good links." Suggestion for the LM1875 comes from GarMan.

Re: Straighten me out on gainclones [message #10138 is a reply to message #10134] Wed, 04 February 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Electrically, a gainclone is very simple to build. If you have all the components, you can breadboard it in less than an hour and have a fully functional mockup. The most difficult part in connecting the parts together is working with the chip. The leads are pretty delicate and if you bend one more than three times, it will fall off (This was a $7 lesson I learned the hard way.)

The most difficult part for me was the mechanical assemble, cutting and drilling the chassis for I/O jacks and screwing everything down in place. But how much time you spend on this will depend on how "finished" you want the amp to look.

The project can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. The heart of the amp is the chip, which runs at about only $7 to $8 each. The most expensive parts were the transformer for $50 and the chassis at $30. I also used two Auricaps, at $10 each for coupling caps, but regular film caps at $1 each will also do. BTW, my transformer was a 220VA unit, a bit of an overkill. Like I said, you can spend $50 or $5000 to build one of these things.

So the amp is cheap and easy to build. What this means for us hobbists is it presents a very real and viable way to explore setups that may have been out of reach. For example, biamping your speakers, which in turn allows you to introduce active crossovers. Also, as you've mentioned, powered speakers may also be an option.

However, before you jump into this gainclone bandwagon, there may be a few things you want to think about:

- That Yamaha unit you have is sweet. I have no doubt that a properly build gainclone can beat it in sound quality, but it would be a pretty serious project to introduce all the functions it has.

- High quality power speakers are not just speakers with an amp attached. The real benefits of powered speakers is to allow the designer to customize the amp/speaker interface so that current, voltage and load are precisely matched. Quite often, powered speakers use active crossovers in front of the amps to allow for even better control of phase and response curves.

In the end, a gainclone is still a very low risk experiment. It will not take up a lot of your time (unless you catch the bug and find the strong desire to build a half dozen of them), can be done on a shoestring, and most importantly, it's a lot of fun. Most soundcards should have enough output to drive one, and you may end up using it more than your Yamaha, simply because you built it yourself.

have fun with it.
Gar.

Couple of Photos [message #10139 is a reply to message #10138] Wed, 04 February 2004 13:18 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Under GainClone folder.
It's actually just a black box with a switch to turn on a light.

Previous Topic: Chip Amp
Next Topic: moon w5 & p5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:47:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout