Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Recording Electric Guitar Music on My Computer
Recording Electric Guitar Music on My Computer [message #75088] Sat, 29 December 2012 18:40 Go to next message
Sonicsound is currently offline  Sonicsound
Baron
I have an electric guitar, and for the longest I have been trying to figure out a way where what I play on the guitar can be recorded on computer. I'm using Audacity as my sound software. I'm new at this, and I would appreciate a little help. Smile
Re: Recording Electric Guitar Music on My Computer [message #75110 is a reply to message #75088] Mon, 31 December 2012 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Google is your friend Smile Lots and lots of info out there about this.

Audacity works great. You just need an interface to hook you guitar to your computer, if you are wanting to record direct. Getting something like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm-105148589-i1427099.gc

Which also included PodFarm, a decent effects package you can tweak on the computer. I basically used a Line 6 multieffect unit the same way this works. Look for a used one for 1/2 the price.

If you're wanting the mic your cabinet then you'll need something similar just with a mic in.
Re: Recording Electric Guitar Music on My Computer [message #75131 is a reply to message #75088] Tue, 01 January 2013 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
So, just so that I make sure I understand because I can be a bit daft in regards to equipment and wires and the like, all I would need to do is install files, hook it up to my laptop, and then hook up my electric guitar to this little box?

Is there no way to directly hook it up into my laptop to record it directly, using an adapter that converts the big bulky amp plug into the small headphones plug?
Re: Recording Electric Guitar Music on My Computer [message #75132 is a reply to message #75131] Tue, 01 January 2013 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yep.

Not that I'm aware of.
Re: Recording Electric Guitar Music on My Computer [message #75136 is a reply to message #75132] Thu, 03 January 2013 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Well then, thank you for your help! I'll save to get one of these boxes for when I get my guitar back. I just hope that I don't have any problems with installation as the review on the site you showed me said.
Re: Recording Electric Guitar Music on My Computer [message #75138 is a reply to message #75136] Thu, 03 January 2013 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Definitely google your options. There are other devices besides the Line6 for sure.
Re: Recording Electric Guitar Music on My Computer [message #75169 is a reply to message #75138] Sun, 06 January 2013 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Here's a Peavey one on clearance at Sweetwater. No idea of it's quality or how long they'll have them, but the price is minimal.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XPortGuitarUSB

Re: Recording Electric Guitar Music on My Computer [message #75436 is a reply to message #75131] Mon, 04 February 2013 11:04 Go to previous message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sonicsound wrote on Tue, 01 January 2013 18:33
So, just so that I make sure I understand because I can be a bit daft in regards to equipment and wires and the like, all I would need to do is install files, hook it up to my laptop, and then hook up my electric guitar to this little box?

Is there no way to directly hook it up into my laptop to record it directly, using an adapter that converts the big bulky amp plug into the small headphones plug?

Life would be a lot easier if you could plug mics and line inputs directly into the laptop, but it just doesn't work that way. Good luck with the Line6 or whichever interface you choose.
Previous Topic: Amps For Acoustic Guitars
Next Topic: From video to Audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:24:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout