Home » Audio » General » Your commercials are quieter
Your commercials are quieter [message #75008] Tue, 18 December 2012 14:44 Go to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
Have you noticed that commercials have gotten quieter? New FCC regulations went into effect on December 14th. According to the new rules a commercial cannot be louder than the show it is broadcast in.
Re: Your commercials are quieter [message #75009 is a reply to message #75008] Tue, 18 December 2012 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi So the law says, but after getting blasted by a few today it seems that not everyone got the message. This has been an ongoing battle for at least three decades and I really figure the advertisers will find some way to circumvent the rules again. I just mute all of them.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Your commercials are quieter [message #75097 is a reply to message #75008] Mon, 31 December 2012 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sonicsound is currently offline  Sonicsound
Baron
I have noticed a difference! So that's why it's unusually quieter. For the longest I literally had to mute the television audio during commercials, now I noticed that it isn't so bad.
Re: Your commercials are quieter [message #75098 is a reply to message #75097] Mon, 31 December 2012 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I'm glad yours are quieter. Several of the stations here don't seem to think it applies to them. The local network stations are the worst. If they aren't at least 6 to 9 db above the average of the programs I'll eat their program guides. Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Your commercials are quieter [message #75137 is a reply to message #75008] Thu, 03 January 2013 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I'm sorry to hear that! I would imagine that there must be some place where you can complain about the obviously increase of the decibels of the commercials.
Re: Your commercials are quieter [message #75150 is a reply to message #75008] Sat, 05 January 2013 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
80sgirl is currently offline  80sgirl
Chancellor
I was just talking about this yesterday. We have noticed the cable channels we watch didn't make any changes. I wonder if they have found some technical way to make the commercials seem louder without actually changing the decibels.

80's Girl
Re: Your commercials are quieter [message #75181 is a reply to message #75150] Tue, 08 January 2013 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
There is one factor that we didn't consider. I don't have cable, but instead I have regular digital television. Maybe that has something to do with the discrepancies observed.
Re: Your commercials are quieter [message #75187 is a reply to message #75008] Tue, 08 January 2013 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
We don't have regular tv so this is something that we thankfully have not had to deal with. For those of you that still have loud commercials I'll bet they either found a loophole or they just don't think anyone will complain!
Re: Your commercials are quieter [message #75976 is a reply to message #75008] Sun, 24 March 2013 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chokabloc is currently offline  Chokabloc
Chancellor
Commercials are one of the many reasons I don't watch TV! I only use mine for DVDs, so I am saved from this inconvenience. I also find the ads before a movie in the theater are louder than they need to be.
Re: Your commercials are quieter [message #76335 is a reply to message #75008] Wed, 17 April 2013 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
Now that you mention it, I guess I haven't been grabbing the remote as much to turn the commercials down. It was always so annoying that they were way louder than the show I was watching.
Previous Topic: Sound & Water Experiment
Next Topic: Violin - Acoustic to electric?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:01:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio