Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Something new on the bench
Something new on the bench [message #74921] Thu, 13 December 2012 20:50 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, My latest project... A stereo integrated amp with full remote control. Class A pp u/l with up to 25 watts per channel. I do admit to cheating on the remote control section. It is modular and does all the volume, source selection and muting functions. It is the same as the one I had at LSAF in the preamp. This project is not finished yet and it probably will take me a month to get it to the level that I can post the schematics and details. A fun if not particularly inexpensive project (about $200 in trannies alone). For all you folks that can't or won't diy it, I suspect in about 6-9 months my commercial side will be issuing it as either a kit or built (maybe both). Sadly it won't be cheap there either.

index.php?t=getfile&id=942&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=943&private=0

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Something new on the bench [message #75465 is a reply to message #74921] Thu, 07 February 2013 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, Updated Amp Photo:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1018&private=0

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Something new on the bench [message #85597 is a reply to message #75465] Sun, 09 July 2017 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
I am so envious of people that are electronically blessed. I am electronically challenged. This is a great example of DIY it looks very complicated. Thanks for the pictures.
Re: Something new on the bench [message #85617 is a reply to message #85597] Wed, 12 July 2017 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Everyone starts somewhere. Diy is IMO a learning process. Find a simple project and preferably a mentor or at least assistant and go for it.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Something new on the bench [message #85620 is a reply to message #85617] Thu, 13 July 2017 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Bruce, that looks stunning! Your amps sound great too - That model is a game changer!

Re: Something new on the bench [message #85623 is a reply to message #74921] Thu, 13 July 2017 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Which model is that?

It looks like the "podwatt", but that's only 5watts per channel.
I'm looking to build another tube amp (kit) this winter, to power a pair of 7pi I'm building.

Perhaps I can go with some mono blocks.

Wayne, if you don't mind me asking,
which "Oddwatt" amps have you listened to with your 7pi corner horns or your 4pi's?

Re: Something new on the bench [message #85624 is a reply to message #85623] Thu, 13 July 2017 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've run Bruce's Podwatt and Oddblock amps. The Oddblock had KT120 tubes in it.

Both are really good amps. Like you've said, the Podwatt is a relatively low-power amp, but it's enough for any models of my speakers. I still like the Oddblock better because of its ability to deliver more dynamic range. But the Podwatt will surprise you.

Bruce's amps all sound like SET amps, but they're less finicky than many of the SET amps on the market. Many SET amps have a tendency to drift as their tubes age, sometimes to the point of overheating biasing resistors and popping coupling or bypass caps. Bruce's amps don't do that.

Re: Something new on the bench [message #85626 is a reply to message #85624] Thu, 13 July 2017 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Folks, Thanks for the kind words. In a way it is a shame that the middle sized amps don't get more interest. The KT77/EL34/KT88 amps are quite the same in sound and have lots of punch. The nice thing about them is that you can roll all sorts of tubes. Anything in either size range can be used. The parts to build them is significantly lower as well. The difference between 28-30 watts rms and 40-42 is not going to be heard. With the smaller tubes it is 15-18 watts rms. Still plenty for most uses. The KT120 mono blocks can also use KT88/KT90 and similar tubes as well. With the present possibility of lots of bum KT120s and KT150 running around I personally would either wait for it to sort out or go for the mid size amps.

BTW I was running my system just yesterday with the mini mono blocks which are really 1/2 each of the newest Poddwatt. I have always loved the sound of EL84s and these amps don't disappoint. They are just sufficient to drive my Martin Logan ESLs to a comfortable level...I would not use them for loud rock as they don't have that level of power.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Something new on the bench [message #85628 is a reply to message #74921] Thu, 13 July 2017 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Bruce...
When you say "mid size amps" are you referring to the series 2 Octals?

Those are the mono blocks I was considering, using kt88's.
Wayne's 7pi's are 101db sensitivity, so I'm guessing that's plenty of power.
Re: Something new on the bench [message #85630 is a reply to message #85628] Thu, 13 July 2017 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, That is correct. The Octals are excellent amps and there is no likelihood of running out of power tubes that work in them.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: KT120 and KT150 tubes not up to spec
Next Topic: Tube on a Chip?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:32:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers