Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Altoids Amp.
Altoids Amp. [message #74782] Sat, 08 December 2012 02:47 Go to next message
srdmind is currently offline  srdmind
Chancellor
I have seen Altoids diy projects popping up all around the internet, and the other day I saw one about making a pocket amp for your headphones. What's your take on this?
Re: Altoids Amp. [message #75026 is a reply to message #74782] Wed, 19 December 2012 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
They've been making the CMoy headamps in Altoids tins for a long time. They didn't start in the tins, but kind of went there for the novelty factor. The CMoy (named after the designer Chu Moy) sound surprisingly good for what they are. There are quite a few variations on the theme from different opamps for different sounds and even mini vacuum tube versions that will fit in a tin.

I've built several and I've never had anyone that's listened through them not like it more than just coming direct from the source. I think they are an excellent way to get your feet wet in the DIY headamp scene. It's almost a rite of passage.

Here's a link to some pics of the ones I've built.
http://www.rollinghillsimagery.com/Electronics/My-DIY-Equipment

Re: Altoids Amp. [message #80816 is a reply to message #74782] Tue, 11 November 2014 02:53 Go to previous message
RoseGul is currently offline  RoseGul
Esquire
I would like to make some printed circuit boards. The only PCBs I have done were a long time ago where you used a pen to trace the circut over specially coated copper, then immersed the board in a solution to remove all the copper except where the lines were drawn.
Previous Topic: Affordable Parts Online
Next Topic: My DIY system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:41:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout