Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi How good are they actually? (Mid or high end loudspeakers)
Re: 4Pi How good are they actually? [message #77127 is a reply to message #77123] Thu, 04 July 2013 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nelson Bass
Baron
Back in 2010 I was sceptical and avoided to build the 4pi back then. Lots of excuses like to expensive drivers, too ugly, too boxy design... Instead I went another route and built 3 other pairs of speakers (two Decware using DFR8 and DTQWT MKII designed by Troels Gravesen.)

The best thing about the Decware speakers were their price - cheap. The second best thing was I did not loose that much money when I sold them...

The DTQWT are super great loudspeakers. Smooth, detailed and dynamic. Compared to 4pi the DTQWT are lacking some details, dynamics and the superb coverage of the room that the 4pi excels at. But still the DTQWT are great loudspeakers that compete with lots of so called high end loudspeakers regardless the cost. To my ears what the DTQWT are great at the 4pi just do better. A 15" driver can move more air with lower distortion than a 8" driver. It's physics.

I regret that I did not built the 4pi in the first place but at the time I disliked the 4pi design. How could such an ugly speaker ever be able to reproduce music true to life? But what the 4pi don't have in sex appeal is forgiven when they play music!

The 4pi are truly great - highly recommended!

Next project is to find a house where I can have a pair of 7pi cornhorns! I'm a fan of Pi Speakers now!
Re: 4Pi How good are they actually? [message #77131 is a reply to message #77127] Thu, 04 July 2013 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad to hear it, Nelson. Thanks for making this build thread, and for your comments on the sound.

Re: 4Pi How good are they actually? [message #77137 is a reply to message #77131] Fri, 05 July 2013 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my0x is currently offline  my0x
Chancellor
Nelson,

Looking forward to listening impressions after you've had a chance to really listen in to the 4pi's. Curious about which Decware speakers you built in the past. You can take a look at my recent 4pi build thread and see the HDT's I built and have enjoyed for many years

Matt
Re: 4Pi How good are they actually? [message #77140 is a reply to message #77137] Fri, 05 July 2013 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nelson Bass
Baron
I'll report more listening impressions later when the 3pi subs are up and running and dialed in.

I built the Decware HDT and ZOB and was very disappointed with both designs. My intention was to combine those speakers as mentioned by Steve in his white papers but never came around it as the HDT did not provide the bass response I wanted.
And I can't stand the distorted sound from most full range drivers when braking up... Useless IME.

I look forward to read about your impression of the 4pi when finished.
Re: 4Pi How good are they actually? [message #77356 is a reply to message #77140] Wed, 31 July 2013 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nelson Bass
Baron
An important update (for me at least) on my 4pi speakers regarding finish:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1234&private=0
  • Attachment: 4pi.jpg
    (Size: 89.88KB, Downloaded 4521 times)
Re: 4Pi How good are they actually? [message #77358 is a reply to message #77356] Wed, 31 July 2013 08:27 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like that nice clean look!

Previous Topic: About 4pi
Next Topic: 100W resistor in 3Pi crossover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 08:52:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio