Home » Audio » Home Theater » Not What I Thought It Would Be (1000 Watt Speaker System)
Not What I Thought It Would Be [message #74569] Sat, 24 November 2012 22:12 Go to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
I bought my husband a 1000 watt speaker system for his birthday this past September, but the system isn't what I thought it would be. Although it does get loud, it doesn't get anywhere near as loud as I thought it would, or as loud as I would LIKE IT TO. I thought higher wattage meant louder; was I wrong?
Re: Not What I Thought It Would Be [message #74572 is a reply to message #74569] Sun, 25 November 2012 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The power rating of a speaker only tells you how much power it can handle before damage. Its sensitivity rating tells you how loud it is. Sensitivity is a measure of efficiency, in that it tells you how much sound is produced at a specific drive voltage or power level. Typical sensitivity ratings are 93dB@1W/1M or 93dB@1M/2.83v. These examples are interpreted as meaning the speaker produces 93dB when measured one meter away given one watt or 2.83 volts, respectively.

Re: Not What I Thought It Would Be [message #74800 is a reply to message #74572] Sat, 08 December 2012 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I was looking at the wrong specs when I picked out our speaker system.

Would it be true to say that a lower wattage speaker system might play louder than one rated at a higher wattage?
Re: Not What I Thought It Would Be [message #74801 is a reply to message #74800] Sat, 08 December 2012 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The "wattage" doesn't matter as to how loud a speaker is at a given drive level. That is described by its "sensitivity" specification. However, the maximum output can be known by three values - max power, sensitivity and compression. At low frequencies, the limit is usually excursion and not thermal, but basically if you know the power limit and sensitivity of a speaker, you can know its maximum SPL.

Re: Not What I Thought It Would Be [message #75076 is a reply to message #74801] Fri, 28 December 2012 14:09 Go to previous message
Master
Thanks for explaining this, Wayne. I thought I knew a pretty good bit about stereos and home theaters, but I was completely wrong about what I thought I knew!
Previous Topic: Professional installation or DIY
Next Topic: Problem With Video Out
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 01:40:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout