Home » Audio » Speaker » Hi-Fi/Studio Quality Earbuds
Hi-Fi/Studio Quality Earbuds [message #74489] Fri, 16 November 2012 19:35 Go to next message
24KPython is currently offline  24KPython
Chancellor
Do any of you other audiophile types use earbuds?

I've been interested in earbuds for a while now, just for portability sake... and as with everything else, I enjoy finding bargains. I found a few gems over the years that tend to get overlooked by more stylish and trendy models that advertise "big bass" and other sorts of distortion.

For a while I recommended the $7 Sony 828s for their flat smooth and detailed sound, as well as their comfortable fit. The only thing really lacking is low bass, but it rolls off smoothly.

Then I moved for a while to the original $8 JVC Gumi -- surprising with their pretty colors -- that turned out to have a powerful driver with 109dB sensitivity that provides tons of detail and flat even sound, and a bit more low bass than the Sony 828. The only downside for me was they're rather large for earbuds.

The next upgrade was the discovery of metal speakers from A4Tech.com, and the treasure of the bunch is the MK-510 *dual* sided earbuds. The idea behind these is that you can listen to the in-ear side if you want a bassy sound...(which IMO sounds terrible) BUT it turns out that the in-ear side also functions as a port for the flat side, providing another octave of smooth low bass extension for the studio-quality detail offered by the flat side. I've actually given these $15 earbuds as gifts to a few audiophile friends and they've loved them.

Since then, I've switched to in-ear phones... and have taken a hit in quality in exchange for noise-blocking. I actually think that an in-ear phone is unlikely to provide audiophile-quality sound. But what has come close for me is the V-Moda Vibe.

Re: Hi-Fi/Studio Quality Earbuds [message #74646 is a reply to message #74489] Thu, 29 November 2012 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'll use earbuds for convenience sake, but when I really want/need higher quality sound, I go back to my AKG K240s. They are big and clunky, but they do a much better job.
Re: Hi-Fi/Studio Quality Earbuds [message #74688 is a reply to message #74489] Fri, 30 November 2012 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
The only time I ever use earbuds is when I'm working out. I still haven't found a pair I really like though, because they keep falling out of my ears when I'm running on the treadmill. =/
Re: Hi-Fi/Studio Quality Earbuds [message #74753 is a reply to message #74688] Thu, 06 December 2012 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That happens to me too, iLoveiPod. I look around and no one else seems to have that problem but I'm constantly placing the earbud back in as I work out.
Re: Hi-Fi/Studio Quality Earbuds [message #74783 is a reply to message #74753] Sat, 08 December 2012 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srdmind is currently offline  srdmind
Chancellor
I'm not too fond of headphones in general, over time they ruin your hearing. If however you must have them, like in the case of a workout, try using the ones that are shaped like a hook.
Re: Hi-Fi/Studio Quality Earbuds [message #75031 is a reply to message #74783] Fri, 21 December 2012 11:27 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I wear earbuds when doing work outside, but if you're looking for hi-fi quality then you're going to have to look at IEM's like these:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/2012-head-fi-holiday-gift-guide-in-ear
Previous Topic: The Subwoofer thing
Next Topic: fostex fe166es-r
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:23:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers