Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Speakers for flea powered amp
Speakers for flea powered amp [message #74427] Sat, 10 November 2012 16:22 Go to next message
JeffreySmith is currently offline  JeffreySmith
Esquire
Hi,
I'm currently investigating building my own speakers. I've ordered a bottlehead s.e.x amp that outputs up to 2 wpc. I'm planning to use these for music only, and even then I only care what they sound like with classical music.

At the moment I'm using them in a pretty small room (Honestly I can't really see me using them in a large room anytime soon, I'm a student).

I have zero woodworking experience but I do have a neighbour who could help me. The simpler the wood working is, the better.

Which speaker would I be best off looking at? I'm presuming that either the 4pi or 7pi are the best candidates for the amp I've bought since they have the highest efficiency. Is there a reason to pick one over the other?

(I didn't mention the 8pi because that one looks to be more complicated to build than the other two, although I could be wrong)

Re: Speakers for flea powered amp [message #74428 is a reply to message #74427] Sat, 10 November 2012 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mantha3 is currently offline  mantha3
Viscount
You may just want to go with the 4PI as with the other you will need to have them in the corner of the room and your future home / next appt it may not work out. I dun know. Can't go wrong with either.

Find a wood / Lumber yard that will cut to size... CNC cutting.

You will need a router with a circle Jig... Like a Jasper circle jig.

I was running my 4PI with a Bob Latino ST120 amp the other day in Triode mode... You can switch from Pentode to Triode and at Triode I think I'm at 33 W / Channel. Sounds fantastic.

Re: Speakers for flea powered amp [message #74429 is a reply to message #74427] Sat, 10 November 2012 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jgoodd8050 is currently offline  jgoodd8050
Chancellor
I'm using Bottlehead Paramors with my 7pi's. I have no issues driving them to uncomfortably loud levels in a 13x17 room. Classical sounds really nice with this set up too. If you can make the corners work, I highly recommend them.

Jeremy
Re: Speakers for flea powered amp [message #74436 is a reply to message #74429] Sun, 11 November 2012 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JeffreySmith is currently offline  JeffreySmith
Esquire
With some serious cleanup + moving furniture around, I should be able to fit the 7pi into my room.
Sounds like I'm going to have to look into the 7pi!

Thanks for the help.
Re: Speakers for flea powered amp [message #74441 is a reply to message #74436] Sun, 11 November 2012 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mantha3 is currently offline  mantha3
Viscount
Take some pics of the build and report back on how it goes. No wrong decision between these two. Amazing sound I'm sure you will find!!!
Re: Speakers for flea powered amp [message #74442 is a reply to message #74441] Sun, 11 November 2012 19:59 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've ran my Two towers with my 3/4W 1626 and a 1W 12B4 amp to fairly loud levels in a small room without issues. The two speakers you are looking at are much more efficient than mine so you should have no problems with your SEX amp.

BTW, those are nice little amps.
Previous Topic: 7 pi plans
Next Topic: 4Pi plan request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 19:10:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers