Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Multiple 4pi per channel
Multiple 4pi per channel [message #74418] Fri, 09 November 2012 14:24 Go to next message
Benji is currently offline  Benji
Esquire
Hi all!

If you were using multiple 12pi subs per channel for a small but outdoor event:

1. Would the 4pi be suitable to pair with the 12pi's
2. If yes would using say, 2 or 4x4pi's per channel cause issues
3. What would be the most ideal arrangement

Regards,

Benji
Re: Multiple 4pi per channel [message #74419 is a reply to message #74418] Fri, 09 November 2012 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The four π loudspeakers is a hifi speaker. Its drivers and crossover are robust enough it can be used for prosound but it is not suitable for arraying. The only exception is pairs - You can put one speaker on top of another with tweeters together to form an MTTM arrangement.

The thing I think you're looking for is an arrayable speaker that can be flown. Something with a vertical row of midwoofers and a vertical row of tweeters. One cabinet that holds one woofer and two tweeters, designed to be connected together and hung in a vertical array.

This could certainly be built in a configuration very much like the four π speaker but it would require a complete design/test/optimize lifecycle and unfortunately, we do not have plans to do anything like that at this time.

However, if you are willing to do some testing, I can help guide you through the process. That's what AudioRoundTable.com is here for. So if you do build an arrayable speaker like this, please keep us posted.

Re: Multiple 4pi per channel [message #74486 is a reply to message #74418] Fri, 16 November 2012 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne, thank you for the reply, unfortunately I'd lack the skills and knowledge to know what I was doing! I can cut and put together something that has already been proven with instruction, no problem! But to go out there and start trying something new? Probably not, unless you think that:

1. The changes wouldn't be too drastic.
2. The ability to test is relatively simple and not too expensive.
3. You'd have enough patience with me!

Smile

So from what you are saying, a 4pi stacked upside-down on top of another would work for one channel without having to remodel anything?

Basically I'm looking to have something that would keep up with two or four 12pi's per channel (realistically only two but I was curious how far you could take it with the 4pi's as well) for a bit of outdoor fun.

Out of curiosity, what is the correct way to stack two and four 12pi's (taking into account the cooling plates)? I note the sub is rated for 1600Wrms, I'm guessing that's for both subs in each cabinet combined? What's the nominal impedance?

My thoughts were an EP2000 per 12pi but not sure if that should be bridged or not and an EP2000 per pair of 4pi's per channel (not bridged) though again I'm not sure on the impedance and if it's suitable for both duties, I know the IB sub guys love it for sub duties.

Perhaps I need to look around the forums a little more or is that kind of information in the plans?

Thanks again for entertaining my crazy plan Smile
Re: Multiple 4pi per channel [message #74490 is a reply to message #74486] Fri, 16 November 2012 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

As I said, the four π speaker is a hifi speaker and isn't meant to be arrayed. The only way they can be clustered is in pairs, with one on top of the other, tweeters together.

For a flown array, you would need to look elsewhere.

I suggested that an arrayable speaker can be made that is very similar to the four π speaker, but that would still take a design/test/optimize cycle. It isn't something I would encourage unless you were familiar with loudspeaker design, measurement and testing.

Re: Multiple 4pi per channel [message #74493 is a reply to message #74418] Sat, 17 November 2012 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 16 November 2012 21:32
It isn't something I would encourage unless you were familiar with loudspeaker design, measurement and testing.

Yep, thought as much that's why I wasn't keen on going that route. I'll stick with a couple of 4π's in the arrangement suggested per channel, would you recommend 1/2/4 12π's per channel to accompany the pair of 4π's per channel?

This is for a small to medium but very open outdoor venue.

If you would be so kind as to send me the 4π and 12π plans I would be most appreciative.

Thank you for your help!
Re: Multiple 4pi per channel [message #74494 is a reply to message #74493] Sat, 17 November 2012 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, the mains can always be sent more power than the subs for level matching. So you can set the system up where they blend nicely.

I'll send plans by email.

Re: Multiple 4pi per channel [message #74497 is a reply to message #74418] Sun, 18 November 2012 19:11 Go to previous message
Esquire
Received! Thank you very much sir!
Previous Topic: 4 Pi Plan Request
Next Topic: 4Pi plans & OTL amps?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:16:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio