Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4PI Break In
4PI Break In [message #74413] Fri, 09 November 2012 07:38 Go to next message
mantha3 is currently offline  mantha3
Viscount
I've got new 4PIs running

I've read that these can benefit from some Break In. I'm at work and I have these running from some 75W monoblocks at about 75%. I'm running from a Cable TV high Def music channel that has random music.

Man these can blast! I actually walked around the outside of the house to hear how loud it is outside.

Anway, wondering what the difference may be post break in.
Re: 4PI Break In [message #74417 is a reply to message #74413] Fri, 09 November 2012 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

JBL 2226 woofers tend to be pretty stiff out of the box. They're underdamped at first. The alignment shifts to where it is supposed to be after several hours at moderate power. You can move some woofers back and forth by hand to do this "break in" process, but I prefer to let the motor do it for me.

Another thing about the JBL 2226 woofers is they change characteristics above about 10 watts. This is the power range they're designed for, and below about 10 watts, they're a little bass light because of alignment shifts. They are designed to be augmented with subs anyway, so you shouldn't ever notice this, but it's a fact, nonetheless.

I prefer this sort of conservative alignment. Better they go this way than the other. I hate speakers that get boomy when they heat up.

Re: 4PI Break In [message #74420 is a reply to message #74417] Sat, 10 November 2012 07:08 Go to previous message
mantha3 is currently offline  mantha3
Viscount
Nice

We watched some movies last night and these were amazing!!!
Previous Topic: π Constant Directivity Cornerhorn: Bass Bin Design Details
Next Topic: 7 pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:32:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout