Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » B&C DE250 question
B&C DE250 question [message #74404] Thu, 08 November 2012 07:39 Go to next message
mantha3 is currently offline  mantha3
Viscount
I've got my new speakers up and running and loving life.

Question on the DE250 on the horn.. I'm new to horn loaded compression drivers...

I see posts of people replacing the diaphram on these drivers.. Do compression drivers have the diaphram go out sooner then normal tweeters?

I'm running my speakers with 75W / Ch tube amps... So I was thinking these speakers should go for many many years without issue.

Thanks
Andy
Re: B&C DE250 question [message #74405 is a reply to message #74404] Thu, 08 November 2012 09:43 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right that these compression drivers will go for many years without issue. You'll never replace a diaphragm when driving your speakers with just 75 watts. After the crossover, that's about 7 watts across the driver terminals.

Compression drivers are very robust, much more than any other kind of tweeter. Because of that and their unusually high efficiency, they are used in prosound. In that application, they're pushed hard and sometimes experience failures. Compression drivers in the used market are generally retired prosound drivers, often with damaged diaphragms. So that's why you see replacement diaphragms. They're user-replaceable.

Previous Topic: 4Pi measurements
Next Topic: π Constant Directivity Cornerhorn: Bass Bin Design Details
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:53:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout