Home » Audio » LSAF » LSAF 2013
Re: LSAF 2013 [message #76678 is a reply to message #76677] Tue, 07 May 2013 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quadophile is currently offline  quadophile
Esquire
fdieck wrote on Tue, 07 May 2013 21:29
No you weren't. My room sold nothing and I even gave wire away. We did steer several people toward the vender for the kit for the loudspeaker on guy brought and demoed but we received no commision for that. There were several DIY audio rooms.

Fred Dieckmann

Fred,

My apologies. I take it back. We were not the odd ones then.

Anis

THE BLACK HOLE AUDIO VIDEO
Consultant
www.theblackholeaudiovideo.com
Re: LSAF 2013 [message #76679 is a reply to message #76677] Tue, 07 May 2013 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My room is definitely commercial, but it grew out of a hobby and is decidedly slanted towards DIY. In fact, for the first couple years my Pi Speakers forum was online, I didn't sell anything, just like you guys. I just provided plans for my speakers, and let the builders gather their own parts from their favorite vendor.

Later, I realized there were enough builders that I could get distributor wholesale pricing and exploit an economy of scale to sell kits at or below the cost most people would see buying their parts in single-unit quantities. Seemed like a win-win deal, because I could get a better price for the buiders, and make cheeseburger money out of the deal too. Since then, I've sold several thousand kits.

About LSAF 2013, I was kinda bummed that I missed the dinner Friday night. I had visitors in my room until late, well after dinner. The show had unusually high traffic on Friday, and I just let the time get away from me.

Most years, Friday is kind of slow with just a few guests. It sort of made it possible for exhibitors to visit with one another. Lots of gear swapping and dialing in happens on Friday. Sort of like when a NASCAR guy blows an engine so another team loans them their spare. Then Saturday is always slammed. Sunday was always load-out day, with a few guests returning to close the deal on purchases, have a second look, and various other "last day" activities.

I hope next year to make dinner with everyone. That is always one of my favorite things to do. Now that Rudy's has come up from Austin to Dallas, my vote is we all go there. I love that place!

I think another thing we'll probably do next year is to have seminars. Most years, I've done my "Crossover Electronics 101" seminar. We study various crossover circuits schematics along with their transfer functions. Then we play music through a circuit of each configuration shown. Then we change damping and listen again. This illustrates things like the way quarter-wave modes in a horn will manifest in the response curve. We show (and listen to) a second-order filter with and without a Zobel. The peaks that are shown in the transfer functon become audible, so this makes these kinds of effects become "real" for the beginner in this hobby.

Other seminars have included tube amp design (from various experts), acoustic measurements (from Keith Larson) and woodworking seminars (from Bill Epstein). They're usually very informative and enjoyable.

Can't wait to do it again!

Re: LSAF 2013 [message #76680 is a reply to message #76678] Tue, 07 May 2013 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fdieck is currently offline  fdieck
Esquire
I am not criticizing and hope you were having as much fun as we were. I meet some the local audio maniacs and got to ear some of the speakers I had read about with a good system that I was familiar with. Audio Fred was few doors down and people kept showing up at the wrong room. My wife even came looking for me and went to his room at first. I wish I had gotten around to more of the rooms since I heard some great sounding stuff. Phil Bamberg's floor standing SEAS speaker being my favorite.

Fred
Re: LSAF 2013 [message #76681 is a reply to message #76679] Tue, 07 May 2013 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne,

I hear ya loud and clear. I was really surprised at the traffic this time, I missed out on a few rooms I was sure to visit, yours was one of them. I will make sure next year I be in your room for a listen. Two years back when I visited LSAF for the first time I did pay a visit to your room.

Consultant
Re: LSAF 2013 [message #76684 is a reply to message #76680] Tue, 07 May 2013 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
fdieck wrote on Tue, 07 May 2013 21:49
I am not criticizing and hope you were having as much fun as we were. I meet some the local audio maniacs and got to ear some of the speakers I had read about with a good system that I was familiar with. Audio Fred was few doors down and people kept showing up at the wrong room. My wife even came looking for me and went to his room at first. I wish I had gotten around to more of the rooms since I heard some great sounding stuff. Phil Bamberg's floor standing SEAS speaker being my favorite.

Fred

Fred,

I know where you are coming from and I perfectly understand. However, I must thank you for promply responding as it shows your good intentions.

Let's agree to visit each others room next year shall we? It is all about having fun!

Anis

Consultant
Re: LSAF 2013 [message #76685 is a reply to message #76681] Tue, 07 May 2013 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Fred,

Oh heavens, I knew you weren't criticizing. I was really just reaching out to you saying, "I hear ya, man!"

Anis,

I remember you from last year. You were talking about how you were gonna "suit up and show up" as an exhibitor in 2013, for sure. And you did just that!

Great to see you both. Kinda love that show, it's definitely coolness shared between friends.

Re: LSAF 2013 [message #76687 is a reply to message #76685] Wed, 08 May 2013 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator

Show reports are starting to come in from the various blogs, ezines, messageboards and other media outlets:
Re: LSAF 2013 [message #76710 is a reply to message #76687] Thu, 09 May 2013 22:37 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Everyone, We (Oddwatt Audio) had fun and met some really great folks. I particularly liked to see all the new speakers this year. I have been playing around with some open baffle ones in my spare time. No ... we are not going into the speaker business. However, I do want to thank the folks that helped with evaluating the potential guitar amp we brought. It appears to be a go, but don't hold your breath as it will probably take us 6-12 months to get it out. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: LSAF 2012
Next Topic: DIY Projects At LSAF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:48:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers